Festival presents new environmental education center, teaches about local sustainability

0

The James River Association held its first-ever James River EcoFest, featuring educational booths from partnering organizations, on Sept. 7 at the James A. Buzzard Education Center. Photo by Teairrah Green.

Molly Manning, Contributing Writer

The James River Association presented its first-ever “James River EcoFest” on Sept. 7, which aimed to celebrate and preserve Richmond’s vibrant local environment, according to the JRA website.

The event was hosted downtown at the James A. Buzzard Education Center on Dock Street.

The Buzzard Center is a sustainable educational facility that was built using sustainable development features such as a live, green roof and permeable gravel and pavers. It also features a large “river health meter” on the front of the building so that patrons can see firsthand the state of the river, according to the JRA’s tour during EcoFest.

The area surrounding the center, Dock Street Park, opened to the public this June, according to Axios.

EcoFest served as a chance for the public to explore the Buzzard Center, as it was just added in July of this year, according to ABC 8News. Before this event, the center had only been open for donor events, but soon, the center will be a hotspot for school-age children on field trips and families.

EcoFest included tree giveaways of several native options, educational booths from many partner organizations, a community trash cleanup, rain barrel workshops, paddle trips and Sturgeon-watching boat trips. It also featured a craft corner for kids, food trucks, a DJ and cornhole. 

Ashleigh Moody, vice president of development for the JRA and VCU alum, said the goal of EcoFest was to introduce the community to the new education center and park.

“A fun family environment where everyone can come and participate in eco-friendly activities, learn about James River Association programs, as well as more than twenty partner organizations talking about what they’re doing and what individuals and families can do to be eco-friendly,” Moody said.

More than three million Virginians source their drinking water from the James River, according to Moody. It’s important to know how healthy the river is and the impact individuals and families have on the river and their local ecosystems, she said.

“We want to demonstrate environmentally sustainable development in the river and in the city, and also talk to people about what they can do,” Moody said. 

Many local sustainability and community organizations partnered with the JRA to make this event possible, such as the Richmond Office of Sustainability, the James River Park System and Capital Trees, according to ABC 8News.

Josh Stutz, executive director of Friends of James River Park, one of the partner organizations for the event, said his goal would be to inspire at least one person to volunteer or donate. Stutz said he also wanted to meet new people and connect with peers from the other organizations at the event.

Attendee Stephen Yacas said the tree giveaway drew him to the event, but he ended up learning about sustainability habits and signed up for several events as well, such as a cleanup with the Richmond Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Sheila Villalobos said she wasn’t planning on coming to the event, but rather stumbled across it unintentionally. 

Villalobos said she especially liked the river health meter because she often checks the status online. She appreciated the opportunity to learn about the ecosystem at an event that was free and open to the public. 

Attendee Jessica Wessel said she and her family would come back to another EcoFest in the future.

“I think it’s great having all of these organizations out here, able to be in one place sharing information about what we can do,” Wessel said.