The CT Staff

EXECUTIVE EDITOR

Iman Mekonen

Iman is a senior majoring in international studies with minors in political science and Middle Eastern/Islamic studies. She’s worked at The CT for three years, previously serving as Spectrum Editor and Managing Editor. After college, she plans to attend law school to pursue a career in international law.

In her free time, she likes to go to concerts, watch “Parks & Recreation” and run her dog’s Instagram.

Twitter: @childishimanino

mekonenib@commonwealthtimes.org

MANAGING EDITOR

Sarah Elson

Sarah is a senior majoring in mass communications with a minor in fashion merchandising. Sarah aspires to be a magazine editor, incorporating her two favorite hobbies, fashion and writing. She is a vivacious reader and thrifting connoisseur who spends most of her time on TikTok.

Instagram: @sarah_p_elson

Twitter: @sarahelson17

elsonsp@commonwealthtimes.org

COPY EDITOR

Rachel Rivenbark

Rachel is a senior studying English with a focus on literature survey, editing and publishing. For the last two years, she has also worked as a copy editor for Blackbird Magazine. A lifelong lover of children’s literature, she hopes to pursue a career as an editor in a publishing house after graduation. In her free time, she enjoys knitting, overeating while watching “The Great British Baking Show” and getting bullied by her overweight chihuahua, Noodle.

rivenbarkrs@commonwealthtimes.org

NEWS EDITOR

Katharine DeRosa

Katharine is a junior double majoring in economics and mass communications with a concentration in print and online journalism. She has a passion for political news and hopes to be a White House correspondent one day. Katharine plays for VCU’s Ultimate Frisbee team, and loves “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” and baking.

Twitter: @KatharineDeRosa

news@commonwealthtimes.org

SPORTS EDITOR

Vacant

SPECTRUM EDITOR

Sahara Sriraman

Sahara is a sophomore double majoring in mass communications with a concentration in both digital and broadcast journalism and political science with a concentration in politics and government. Before becoming Spectrum Editor, she worked as both a Contributing and Staff Writer for News. She plans to pursue a career in political journalism as either a White House or political correspondent. In her free time, Sahara likes to do hot yoga, watch “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” and snuggle with her double doodle, Eli.

Twitter: @SaharaSriraman

spectrum@commonwealthtimes.org

OPINIONS EDITOR

Tagwa Shammet

Tagwa is a senior double majoring in political science and philosophy with concentrations in public policy and administration, and philosophy and law. Tagwa plans to pursue a law degree after undergraduate. She was awarded first place in the editorial writing category of the annual Virginia Press Association contest. She has really cool yellow pants because yellow is her color, and she throws her thumbs up when she feels uncomfortable and unsafe.

Instagram: @tagwita

opinions@commonwealthtimes.org

PHOTO EDITOR

Megan Lee

Megan is a senior double majoring in cinema and digital journalism. She’s had a camera in her hand for years but found a love for sports photography during her sophomore year at The CT. She hopes to be a photographer for a college or NBA team after graduation.

Currently, she does freelance photography and helps out with athletics marketing at the University of Richmond. When she’s not taking photos, you can find her at the gym, grabbing an iced chai latte, or finding her new favorite rap and country songs.

Instagram: @meglizleemedia Twitter: @megelee64

Website: leeme4.myportfolio.com

photography@commonwealthtimes.org

AUDIENCE EDITOR

Grace McOmber

Grace is a senior majoring in political science with a concentration in civil rights and liberties, and minoring in both media studies and general business. She can envision herself going down a number of different paths after graduation, but hopes to always incorporate writing into her future career. In her free time, Grace enjoys embroidery, curating oddly specific music playlists and thrifting vintage furniture.

mcomberge@commonwealthtimes.org 

ILLUSTRATIONS EDITOR

Lauren Johnson

illustrations@commonwealthtimes.org

GRAPHIC DESIGNERS

designers@vcustudentmedia.com

Gabrielle Wood — Art Director 
Gabi is a senior majoring in graphic design. She loves making posters, playing guitar and singing along to David Bowie. After college, she hopes to travel, work in the music industry as a designer and play guitar in an all-girl rock band.

Instagram: @graphicsbygw

Jayce Nguyen — Designer

Jayce is a senior majoring in graphic design with a deep-seated love for ice hockey, queer narratives, and serif typefaces. Making fan edits on Tumblr in middle school has somehow led to him working at the CT as a designer in college. After graduation, he hopes to get involved in the video game industry.

Instagram: @jayce.nguyen

Madison Tran — Designer

Madison is a sophomore majoring in graphic design. She plans to pursue a career in design for publishing media and is an aspiring art director. Madison likes to spend her free time collecting candles and rewatching “Taylor Swift’s Reputation Stadium Tour” on Netflix.

Instagram: @mads.gdes

Bailey Wood — Designer

Bailey is a senior majoring in communication arts. In her free time, she loves taking care of her houseplants and trying (and failing) to learn how to play bass. She hopes to merge her interests in illustration and design by pursuing a career in publication work, editorial design, and editorial illustration.

Instagram: @baileymaxine

Portfolio: https://baileymaxine.com