About Us

Who We Are

The Commonwealth Times is a student-led and student-produced media organization that has been serving the Virginia Commonwealth University campuses at Monroe Park and the Medical College of Virginia since 1969. The newspaper is printed once a week during the fall and spring semesters, and content is also published online at commonwealthtimes.org and updated regularly as news occurs. The CT employs a staff of more than 50 VCU students each year, and provides hands-on training in journalism, multimedia production, photography, marketing, human resources and more.

The Commonwealth Times is entirely student-run and operates under the guidance of the Student Media Director and the governance of the VCU Student Media Board.

Our Mission

First and foremost, our mission is to provide coverage of news and other events affecting the VCU community.

We are a dedicated, responsible and independent student media organization that connects, explores and enriches the lives of the university’s many constituencies.

We operate on a model of individual responsibility and professional standards instead of censorship and administrative control. We promote the values of integrity, tenacity, creativity and honesty in the pursuit of excellence.

Corrections Policy

It is the policy of The Commonwealth Times to report any inaccurate information published in our newspaper as soon as the error is discovered. Any incorrect information will be corrected on Page 2. Errors committed on the Opinion or Comic pages have corrections printed on that page. Corrections also are noted in the online versions of our stories.

Please contact the The CT’s Executive Editor Zach Joachim at joachimz@commonwealthtimes.org with concerns about this policy or to report corrections.

Archive Policy

The Commonwealth Times student newspaper and its website, commonwealthtimes.org, strive to preserve complete and accurate records of this publication. We will not remove or conceal any information from commercial search engines or other parties published in print and/or online. These materials include, but are not limited to, news stories, opinion columns, editorials, photographs, or graphic illustrations, unless given sufficient proof that the basis of a published work is completely unfounded. Any other errors will be amended as per our previously published corrections policy. It is the policy of The Commonwealth Times to not remove past content from its website.

When submitting opinion content to The Commonwealth Times, columnists and cartoonists are expected to take accountability for their expressed opinions. Requests to remove an author or illustrator’s name from an archived work will be handled solely at the discretion of the current student editorial staff, but the standard policy is to preserve the work as it was originally published.