Caroline Whisnant (Right) and Charles Staples (Left) perform “The Twelves Days After Christmas” by Frederick Silver. Photo by Anthony Duong.

Anna Lopacinski, Contributing Writer

Enjoying classical music doesn’t need to cost a fortune or adhere to strict rules of etiquette as many traditional events do, said Becca Longhenry, the general director of Classical Revolution RVA. 

CRRVA is a Richmond-based collective of musicians working to incorporate classical music into Richmond’s vibrant music scene, according to CRRVA’s website.

CRRVA made this their main goal during their Classical Variety Show on Jan. 21 at Brambly Park Winery, according to Longhenry.

“Classical Incarnations is our longest-running series of concerts and was intended to raise awareness of classical music by presenting it for free in accessible, fun public spaces,” Longhenry said. “We try to create opportunities where anyone passing by our events can pop in and check out the experience and fall in love with the music.”

These events challenge the elitist stereotype surrounding classical music and dispel the stigma of it being perceived as boring, making it more accessible and engaging for the general public, Longhenry said.

“We hope that our audience feels a deep connection to the music and messages our performers present and leave the concert with a renewed appreciation and hunger for more classical music,” Longhenry said.

Not only does CRRVA strive to create a connection between the audience and classical music, but they also offer a platform for local artists to create those connections as well. The connection between the artist, the audience and the music is vital to the survival of art, according to Longhenry. 

Classical music is often lost on the people of this generation, according to David Raposo, a cellist who performed at the event.

“There aren’t a lot of young classical musicians, so this gives an opportunity for those people to perform,” Raposo said. “It also gives some of the retired folks the opportunity to come back out and still do what they love.” 

CRRVA also aims to strengthen the connection between the public and classical music by hosting free concerts and eliminating the barriers that may prevent people from coming, Raposo said. 

Dr. Deborah Saidel, a woodwind professional, also believes hosting a free event can enhance the public’s bond with classical music, she said. 

“To make it free, I think, removes a lot of barriers for people and makes it easier to access,” Saidel said. “So, I think that this is an important thing to do because it’s in a much more relaxed atmosphere.”

Saidel has enjoyed performing with CRRVA for over 10 years and believes these events offer a great way for people to be introduced to classical music in a less intimidating environment, she said.

Susan Hanson, a first time attendee, wanted to broaden her musical horizons and found this show to be the perfect opportunity to expose herself to classical music, she said.

“This event exceeded my expectations. I think concerts like this are great for the Richmond community because they allow people to enjoy music without the inconvenience of having to pay. I will be back,” Hanson said.