Nick’s Picks: Kuba Kuba captures the authentic Cuban experience

Illustration by Sarah Brady

Nicholas Barahona, Contributing Writer

Welcome to Nick’s Picks.

Join me this week on our journey through Richmond where I review and showcase the different cuisines and restaurants around campus from the perspective of a VCU student.

Our next stop is Kuba Kuba, a Cuban restaurant offering a menu with dishes consisting of Cuban staples like rice, meats, veggies, fish, beans and sandwiches. You can find breakfast here as well, as it is served all day, everyday.

The restaurant is open Monday through Thursday 9 a.m. to 9:30 p.m., Friday through Saturday 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Sunday 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.

A 15-minute walk from Monroe Park, this Caribbean restaurant sits on the corner of Park Avenue next to Lombardy Park Playground.

Walking to the restaurant, you will find seating available outside with a vibrant blue mural along the restaurant walls depicting the people and streets of Cuba. Once the sun sets, the glow of the Kuba Kuba sign illuminates the street corner.

Taking a look inside, the space was larger than what I was expecting from how it looks outside. They have tables, booths and counters where you can enjoy your meal. Based on my dining experience, I can confidently say the space at Kuba Kuba is just big enough to accommodate the daily crowds that come in. Additionally, outside seating is an option and perfect for days with warm weather.

I enjoyed seeing that as you walk into the restaurant, you immediately get a whiff of the aroma that fills the air. As I continued to my seat, I noticed there were many pictures and paintings across the walls of people with an unknown identity. Though a mystery, these portraits give this restaurant character.

Taking a look at the food, Kuba Kuba offers specials outside of the traditional menu; these can be found on chalkboards on the wall above the kitchen and bar area. The chalkboards don’t only showcase specials, but also desserts, merchandise and packaged “goodies” you can buy at the restaurant, such as their house-made hot sauce.

For a starter, I went ahead and ordered the $5 empanadillas — crescent-shaped pastries stuffed with whatever you choose — that came in a set of two: one with beef and one with spinach and ricotta. The empanadillas were served stacked against each other and drizzled with sour cream and a leafy garnish, which gives the plating a satisfying finish.

The spinach and ricotta empanadilla was delightful and my favorite of the two — it’s hard to go wrong with a bread and cheese mixture. The beef empanadilla gets a pass from me, as it tasted too plain compared to its flavorful partner.

For the main dish, I ordered Ropa Vieja, one of my favorite Cuban dishes that contains shredded beef, yellow rice, veggies, fried plantains and toasted bread on the side. This $16 plate is a bit pricey, though I assure you that you will leave the restaurant with a to-go box and food for later, as the portion is sizable.

The shredded beef topped on the rice was nice and juicy, driving home its flavor throughout the entire dish. The fried plantains were excellent, but I wish it was served with more than just two small pieces, as it left me wanting more. The rice is used as the base for the other flavors to seep into, so I wasn’t surprised that it in itself was mediocre. I also find that a challenge with large portions is that inconsistencies in each bite can occur, which played out here.

One thing that cannot be left out of this review is the quality of service that I received at Kuba Kuba. From the very beginning to the end, you are in a lively and outgoing environment. Though the food didn’t knock my socks off, this is the kind of spot where you feel good having a meal.

Kuba Kuba earns itself a solid four star rating from me. It was a restaurant I would gladly try again, but that I am not dying to go back to. Considering that the price for a starter and main meal comes out to $25, it may not be the most cost-effective place for college students, but the large portions, ambiance and cultural feel just might make it worth the trip.

With only a few Cuban food options available in Richmond, where Kuba Kuba shines is presenting an authentic cultural experience to its patrons, imbued through the artwork, food and ambiance. Take a step into Kuba Kuba, and you’ll leave with the spirit of Cuba in your soul.

For more things food, feel free to check out @nxreview on Instagram or TikTok for many more recommendations and reviews around town.

Stay easy Ram family and as always, eat up.