Illustrated by Killian Goodale-Porter.

Nati Feliciano-Soto, Contributing Writer 

Throughout the modern age, society has painted itself as being more accepting of people for who they are, yet for some reason the line is drawn at people with disabilities. 

The disabled community continues to face significant barriers that reflect deep roots of ableism in our society. 

Ableism refers to the discrimination and social prejudice against people with disabilities based on the belief that typical abilities are superior. It is a pervasive issue that affects many aspects of life, from employment opportunities to social interactions. 

This discrimination is often subtle, manifesting in daily situations that are not accommodating to the diverse needs of individuals with disabilities. 

Regularly displayed on social media platforms, these individuals have become the subject of punchlines and an abundant amount of memes. We have come to an age where the classic punchline of “And (she/he) didn’t stutter,” or using threads on the social platform X to ignite a discussion of whether Ice Spice has Down syndrome or not, is acceptable. 

As a writer with a qualified disability and a platform, I can use to address this vulnerable and unheard community, I no longer choose to accept this version of “acceptance” in our society. I will instead shine a light on ableism and help peers in my community understand it, the repercussions of their actions and how to become an ally to the disabled community. 

Learning disabilities, like dyslexia, impact one’s ability to process and understand information, affecting academic performance. Physical disabilities, such as cerebral palsy, can limit senses and physical movement. 

Mental disabilities or general mental illness like bipolar disorders can have an effect on an individual’s thinking, emotional state and behavior. Emotional disabilities can influence emotional regulation and lead to significant distress in social, occupational or other important areas of functioning.

I am a living testimony to how verbal disabilities and speech impediments, such as stuttering, can impact communication abilities.. I’ve occasionally had severe episodes of tension during speech, major fluency disruptions and have even avoided social situations that exacerbate my discomfort and anxiety, such as public speaking.

One of the most glaring examples of ableism is the lack of accessibility in public spaces. Wheelchair access, for instance, is still a significant issue in many parts of the world.

While some progress has been made with laws requiring accessible buildings and public transportation, there are still countless places where people with mobility impairments are unable to go because of insufficient accommodations. 

This exclusion is a clear indication that our society is not as inclusive as we like to believe. The message it sends to people with disabilities is that their presence is not valued, and their needs are not important. 

The job market and even college admissions, despite the Americans with Disabilities Act, reflect this. Undercover discrimination is a huge factor through employers who unconsciously prefer candidates without disabilities, viewing them as more capable. 

Along with this, many hiring processes are inaccessible due to a lack of accommodations, further excluding disabled individuals from opportunities. 

On college campuses, frequent lack of adequate accessibility, such as pace of course material and even campus structures can make full participation difficult for disabled students. 

This issue is compounded by biases within admissions committees, who under law are expected to never discriminate against individuals with disabilities who meet the ‘criterias.’ 

However, these admissions can be for the sole purpose of appeal and often result in students with disabilities “being less likely to graduate from college than their peers — 21% compared to 38% — and among those who did complete, they were less likely to be employed full-time compared to their peers,” according to Inside Higher Ed.

Due to the ongoing efforts for student academic accommodations that are meant to fulfill state requirements under the ADA rather than empower these individuals in most cases. 

Which is why around 69% for 4 years and 28% for 2 year college students with disabilities did not inform their college of their disabilities, according to a study by the National Center for Education Statistics.

These forms of subtle discrimination create significant barriers, maintaining inequality despite efforts to improve accommodations. 

In my experience, I find ableism stems from parenting. When parents lack empathy towards disabled communities, it is easily reflected onto their children. 

It can also be reflected in the media we consume. More harm than good is done to children when the disabled community is constantly represented by harmful stereotypes and used for comedic purposes — whether it is their portrayal as objects of pity or as “inspirations” for performing everyday tasks. 

This objectification reinforces the notion that people with disabilities are inferior, valuing them only when they can inspire others. It contributes to the social isolation and diminished self-worth of these individuals. 

Additionally, those with “invisible” disabilities — such as mental health conditions, learning disabilities and chronic illnesses — often encounter skepticism and disbelief, which can result in a lack of necessary accommodations and support. 

Pervasive ableism in media and society perpetuates the marginalization of people with disabilities, reducing them to mere symbols rather than acknowledging their full humanity. 

As someone who grew up in a loving home where I was fully accepted, entering the real world — whether in school or at work — was a harsh reality to face. 

The attitude towards my disability is always met with strange looks, laughs or general assumptions of my IQ. For every opportunity and space I have put myself in, I have had to prove that I belonged, simply because of my speech disability. 

Conversations that celebrate differences and teach respect from an early age could help prevent many of the misconceptions and misunderstandings that people with disabilities face in society. 

This requires not only making physical spaces more accessible but also challenging the negative attitudes and stereotypes that persist in our culture. It involves recognizing the diversity of the disabled community and understanding that disability is not a deficiency but a natural part of the human experience. 

Only then can we truly claim to be an inclusive society where everyone, regardless of ability, is valued and respected.