VCU Health suspends patient visitation to limit spread of COVID-19

Hannah Eason, News Editor

VCU Health Systems is restricting visitation for patients to reduce the transmission of the novel coronavirus, according to a VCU news release. 

No visitors are allowed who are experiencing a fever, cough, sore throat or difficulty breathing. Children who are younger than 16 are restricted from visitation, as well as those who have been exposed to COVID-19 or have been to a high risk country within the last two weeks.

“In general, visitors should limit visits to common waiting areas and maintain social distance to prevent sick individuals from coming in close contact with healthy individuals, in accordance with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommendations,” the release stated.

Adult patients will be allowed one visitor each day, and others will wait for updates outside of the facility.

Those at the end of life are allowed two visitors per day, after a discussion with the patient’s care team. Pediatric patients are also allowed two visitors.

Obstetrical patients – and those undergoing surgery, procedures and testing – are permitted one visitor per day. Emergency room patients are allowed one visitor.

Any patient with a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 case will visit through telecommunication, per the release.

Visitors who must wear a mask to enter a patient room will be given one per day, to be used in the patient room.

Dental clinics are closed until further notice, except for emergency care, according to a release on Monday. The VCU Medical Center Health and Wellness Library will be closed until March 27 and will reopen March 30.

Tompkins-McCall Library for the Health Sciences will remain open, with hours available at www.library.vcu.edu/tml