VCU freshman found dead behind D.C. bar

A VCU freshman who had been missing for almost 11 hours was found dead on Thursday morning behind a bar in Washington, D.C., according to NBC4 Washington.

The news outlet stated Paul McGuinness Jr., a Reston, Virginia native, had recently returned home to northern Virginia for winter break from VCU.

On Thursday, he was found dead around 11:50 a.m. behind the Madam’s Organ bar in the Adams Morgan neighborhood. Family members said D.C. police confirmed a body was found at the location, according to NBC4.

Oray Nicolai, McGuiness’ uncle, told NBC4 the freshman went to the Madam’s Organ to celebrate his cousin’s birthday when, at around 1 a.m. on Thursday morning, he went missing.

“I know that he disappeared from the bar at 1 o’clock in the morning, and my son was with him — thought he was coming out of the bathroom,” Nicolai told NBC4. “He never came out.”

McGuinness’ family called the police before members of the family, along with McGuinness’ longtime baseball coach, went looking for him Thursday morning.

After searching for five hours, McGuinness’ coach discovered the Herndon high school graduate’s body at the bottom of a stairwell behind Madam’s Organ.

Nicolai told NBC4 the family believes he went down the back stairs of the bar and fell. D.C. police said they are conducting an investigation.

Print News Editor, Fadel Allassan

Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 9.11.49 PMFadel is a sophomore print journalism major. He is fluent in English, French and Sarcasm, and he probably doesn’t like you. Fadel enjoys writing about politics and making people drive him to Cook-Out. // Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

allassanfg@commonwealthtimes.org