Mozart festival scheduled for Carytown

Janeal Downs

Artists have performed works composed by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart since the 1700s, but for the first time in Richmond, musicians and music fans alike will celebrate Mozart with a daylong festival.

Classical Revolution RVA will host the Mozart Festival in Carytown from noon to midnight on Jan. 25.

“The Mozart Festival is basically a daylong celebration of one of the greatest composers who ever lived,” said Cockerham, director of Classical Revolution RVA and principal second violinist of the Richmond symphony.

Born in what is now Salzburg, Austria, Mozart composed more than 600 works before his death at age 35. Famous compositions by Mozart include “Eine kleine Nachtmusik” and “Requim.” His music later influenced composers such as Joseph Haydn and Ludwig van Beethoven.

“I have always wanted to do something at the Byrd theater … I had the idea to play ‘Amadeus’ there,” Cockerham said. “I just thought if we’re going to play the movie we might as well just take over (Carytown) … and celebrate Mozart.”

“Amadeus” is a movie about Mozart and will be the only thing that costs money at the festival.

Along with the movie, attractions include chamber music at the restaurant Can Can Brasserie and a story-telling of Mozart’s opera “The Magic Flute” at Cartwheels and Coffee.

Senior and music major Nathan Hay, who has been involved with Classical Revolution for almost two years, said he, members of Classical Revolution and other musicians will also play Mozart’s music throughout Carytown.

“(Classical music) is not going to be blown out of speakers, it’s going to played under the fingertips of musicians,” said Hay.

Another highlight of the festival includes a lecture at 3 p.m. in Chop Suey Books by VCU music professor Daniel Myssyk titled Wolfgang 101.

“(The Mozart Festival) is a way of sharing the genius of Mozart,” Hay said. “It is really awesome that Ellen was able to do this and get all of Carytown and have all these performers show off classical music.”

Hay said he expects a large turnout from both VCU professors and students.

“We have an ever growing body of Richmond musicians that are connecting with each other and VCU students are a big part of that,” Cockerham said.

Cockerham said she invites anyone interested to attend their jam sessions and classical incarnations when the group gets together to play music.

Classical Revolution launched in Richmond in October 2012. The organization was founded in 2006 in San Francisco and currently has more than 30 chapters across the United States, Canada and Europe.

Correction: A previous version of this story stated that the Mozart Festival would be held on Jan. 25. It will be held on Jan. 26. The CT regrets this error.