VCU adds new job position and policy change to handle sexual misconduct

Alyx Duckett

Kendall Plageman, VCU's interim Title IX coordinator, handles student-to-student cases of sexual misconduct, including sexual harassment. Photo by Amber-Lynn Taber.

VCU has recently added a designated position to handle and resolve sexual misconduct complaints that deal with student-to-student discrimination in a more timely manner.

University safety case manager Kendall Plageman is acting as the interim for the new position of Title IX coordinator. Plageman started her job as university safety case manager this June.

She explained that the designation of a Title IX coordinator is new, but the duties of a coordinator have already been in place in other places in the university. She said a coordinator works to protect the campus by addressing sexual misconduct patterns and behaviors that could put students and the community at risk.

Plageman said her position is strictly for student-to-student sexual misconduct issues, including sexual harassment. For situations involving faculty or staff and a student, the Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Services Office steps in.

“The Title IX Coordinator is responsible for coordination of the university’s compliance efforts on student-to-student gender discrimination, to include forms of sexual misconduct, such as sexual harassment and sexual assault,” Plageman said.

Another recent effort to resolve misconduct complaints equally and faster is a revision to the VCU Sexual Misconduct Policy. Appeal rights have been added for the accuser of a sexual misconduct. With the new policy, both the accuser and the accused can appeal a decision by the University Hearing Board.

Previously, the accuser of sexual misconduct could not appeal a decision if the accused was found not responsible.

“Adding appeal rights for the accuser in a sexual misconduct hearing is a recent change to ensure equitable grievance procedures,” Plageman said.

Destiny Brandon, a senior at VCU agrees with the policy change.

“I think the decision that VCU has made is reasonable,” Brandon said.

She says she would like to know more about the sexual misconduct policy but also thinks more people should be careful of whom they associate themselves with in order to prevent sexual misconduct from happening.

Shanaz Bowman, a sophomore at VCU, agrees that the policy change is a good idea and says the plus side to the change is that it gives the accuser a chance to express their belief.

“I think it sounds like a good thing overall,” Bowman said.

She also agreed with the idea of having someone designated to help students with sexual misconduct.

“I think that’s a good thing, especially in sexual harassment situations,” she said.

Plageman encourages students and university officials to report known incidents of sexual misconduct. She says that students have an option to remain anonymous when they report that an incident has occurred.

“We encourage students to look out for each other and report incidents of concern,” Plageman said. “This helps us all work toward creating a safer community.”

For more information on the Sexual Misconduct Policy and how to report an incident visit: http://www.students.vcu.edu/docs/sexual_misconduct.pdf