From the president

Safety: Recently there has been a lot of concern about students who have not been observing the crosswalk signals at intersections on campus. As a student who has been at VCU for five years now, I know what it means to roll out of bed late for class and to have to make it all the way across campus with two minutes until class starts. As tempting as it often seems to dash across the intersection, I want to caution students because we have had serious injuries in the past – be late, and be safe!

Speaking of safety, last Thursday, Sept. 6, some members of the SGA and I attended a VCU Safety Steering Committee meeting. The Student Government has worked with this committee in the past to help increase campus safety. For example, all VCU cards now have the VCU Police emergency phone number (828-1234). At the meeting we discussed what more we could do in the future to help make students safer.

Soon, VCU will be publishing a safety Web site that will be a one-stop shop for all of the great safety resources at VCU such as the Resource Center (www.resourcecenter.vcu.edu). Staffed by trained student volunteers, the Resource Center provides information and referrals in the areas of sexual violence, relationship violence and stalking. The Resource Center is located in the Department of Sociology at 1014 W. Franklin St. I encourage all students to take advantage of this great resource!

Another complaint from students involves the VCU Campus Connector. Many of you have experienced delays while waiting for the bus over the past two weeks. I emailed Mr. Greg Rentz, the Director of Parking & Transportation here at VCU who shed light on the situation. Quoted below is his explanation:

“There have been many factors that have contributed to the bus delays this week. Yesterday a GRTC transit bus experienced a minor accident, and one of the three buses that run the Campus Connector was held up for a period of time. Additionally, there was a parade or protest during the day that blocked Franklin Street causing route delays. Today (Thursday) the rain, preparations for Tropical Storm Ernesto and heavy traffic conditions played a factor in delays.”

The SGA will be meeting with Parking & Transportation in next two weeks because we feel it is important that the GRTC should be prepared for such instances. It isn’t unusual for buses to break down, for accidents to happen or for bad weather to occur. We need to have contingency plans in place to ensure that such extreme delays do not occur. This is especially important with a service like the Campus Connector.

Are there things you want to have changed at VCU? Then get involved! Apply online to run for The student Senate. Applications are due Sept. 22, and voting will take place online starting Oct. 10 and ending Oct. 12. If you are someone with good ideas who finds pleasure in making a difference at your university, then go to www.vcusga.com, click on the “Elections” tab, and apply to be a student senator today!

As always, I encourage all students to contact me with any questions or comments. E-mail me anytime at SGApresident@vcu.edu.