Illustration by Killian Goodale-Porter.

The VCU Rams are going up against the St. Mary’s Seahawks on Monday, Oct. 28 for the Rams’ first and only exhibition game before their season formally starts.

VCU

Marcus Leary

Phillip Russell – The six-foot tall graduate student guard is a new asset for the Rams who will be an offensive threat against the Seahawks. Russell played the 2023-2024 season at the University of Texas at Arlington. There he was awarded Western Athletic Conference Sixth Man of the Year and named to the WAC All-Tournament team, according to VCU Athletics. Russell comes to the Rams with nearly 1,400 career points and nearly 200 made three-pointers, according to VCU Athletics. At UT-Arlington he averaged 14.9 points per game and shot 38% from the 3-point line, according to VCU Athletics. Russell may be new to VCU but the Seahawks will have a hard day if they can’t guard him.

Kyler Gilliam, Contributing Writer

Joe Bamisile – The hometown graduate student guard is a true three-level scorer with long and rangy arms that help him on the defensive side of the ball. Bamisile averaged 13.1 points per game last season, according to VCU Athletics. He is the definition of a streaky shooter, going on a six-game streak of scoring 20 points or more last season, including a season-high 29 points against the University of Saint Louis, according to VCU Athletics. Bamisile is also coming off a career-high in three-pointers made last season with 64 on 37% shooting from long range, according to VCU Athletics. He should also see an increased role on the wing after the departure of forward Kuany Kuany and forward Sean Bairstow. Bamisile’s combination of high-level scoring capability and elite athletic traits make him an integral part of the Rams’ 2024-2025 roster.  

Saint Mary’s

Malachi Keys, Contributing Writer 

Kyree Smith – The second-year guard had a promising first-year stint off of the bench. Smith played 27 games averaging 20.7 minutes last season, according to SMC Athletics. Smith also put up solid offensive numbers averaging about six points, three rebounds and two assists per game. As a first-year player, he also found ways to get to the free-throw line last year. One can only assume Smith will improve into his second year both offensively and defensively and could prove to be an X-factor in this upcoming matchup against the Rams. 

Hayden Braun, Contributing Writer 

Jake Koverman The Seahawks lost their top four scoring leaders from last season to the transfer portal, as well as fourth-year players graduating. The Seahawks have a completely different starting line-up from last season and are in dire need of players to step up – the third-year forward is going to be that player against the Rams. Koverman averaged 11.2 points per game last season. While also being in the top three on the team in field goal percentage, three-point percentage and rebounds last season, according to SMC Athletics. Koverman is a tall, physical player and the Rams are going to have to play stellar defense to shut him down.