Embracing diversity: Reimagining VCU’s lost cultural celebration

0

Illustration by Killian Goodale-Porter.

Jessica Holgado, Contributing Writer

I remember the thrill and excitement of my first experience with VCU’s Intercultural Festival in 2013. I was 9 years old and visiting my sister who was a student here at the time. 

The lively dance performances, the aromatic smell of different delicious foods, the mechanical bull, the mini rock-climbing wall, the petting zoo and the array of vendors selling beautiful clothes and jewelry are still fresh in my mind. 

The ICF was a vibrant event in Monroe Park filled with stages for performances, including dancing, singing and other forms of entertainment. Vendors created a bustling marketplace atmosphere, and restaurants and food trucks allowed attendees to try diverse cuisines from around the world. 

Each year, the festival featured a main theme, but there were also smaller themed events throughout the semester that focused on specific cultures or regions, providing ongoing opportunities for cultural exploration and celebration.

It was an incredible experience that celebrated diversity and brought the community together in a way I have never seen before. Sadly, this festival seems to no longer exist — the last one being in 2023 — and its absence leaves a void in the cultural tapestry of VCU and the surrounding community.

The ICF existed for several years before it became an official VCU tradition in 2003. It was started by a small group of students and was then overseen by the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs.

ICF’s mission was to promote cultural diversity among the student body by raising awareness of various cultures throughout the world. This initiative not only enriched the campus experience for students, but also played a significant role in fostering a sense of global community.

The festival’s impact extended beyond the university, reaching surrounding communities in Richmond. By involving various small businesses and entertainers, the festival provided them with a platform to showcase their talents and promote their products and services, helping them generate revenue and gain recognition within the community.

After the pandemic, it must have been hard for the festival to reach its same heights. Its absence could have been due to budget constraints or the willingness of students to plan such big events, especially with the pandemic still lingering.

I asked my sister, who graduated in 2014, how she felt about the ICF seemingly no longer being a big part of VCU.

“I am sad. I was really proud to be a part of something so big that was for everyone to enjoy,” she said. “It was really special considering how many people were so involved. It took someone from every area of VCU: student groups, cultural groups, Greek life, musicians and artists and faculty to put it on.” 

Her words made me realize how much the festival meant to the community. It was not just about the performances or the vendors — it was about the shared experiences and the joy of discovering something new together. 

The ICF was a chance to showcase food, dance, games and clothes from all around the world, and now that it may no longer exist, we have had to find new ways to celebrate and honor diversity.

One way was the recent inaugural cultural festival held by VCU Health in June. Given that June is filled with celebrations like Juneteenth, Pride Month and Caribbean American Heritage Month, it was the perfect opportunity to recognize them all through balloon art, face painting, free books, live music and performances.

Another way is through specific cultural organizations celebrating their own events, like how Filipino Americans Coming Together has their Barrio Fiesta, which includes free food for all students and modern and traditional dances right outside the VCU Student Commons Ram Horns. 

Students in Richmond can experience cultural diversity through local events like the Richmond Greek Festival, Richmond Folk Festival, Richmond Egyptian Festival, Festival of India and the Richmond International Dance Festival.

There are many more ways we can celebrate and honor diversity without hosting festivals. For instance, events where people can share their native languages and cultural experiences can be a great way to learn about different traditions and perspectives. 

Additionally, organizing international film screenings followed by discussions can offer insights into various cultures and their unique storytelling styles.

Events like the ICF showcase diverse talents and traditions, strengthening community bonds and providing opportunities for personal growth and learning, allowing people to feel safe and welcome.

Ultimately, celebrating and honoring diversity is about building a world where everyone feels valued and respected. While nothing can fully replace the magic of the ICF, these new approaches help keep the spirit of cultural diversity alive in our community.