VCU women’s soccer secure first Atlantic 10 win against cross-town rivals

VCU women's soccer celebrates their win against Richmond. Photo by Andrew Hill

Bersabeh Kemaw, Staff Writer

Erica Simpson, Contributing Writer

Emma Schirmer, Contributing Writer

The VCU women’s soccer team defeated the University of Richmond with a 1-0 win, continuing their winning streak against the Spiders. 

Despite their past victories, the Rams did not come into the game taking it lightly, according to VCU head coach Lindsey Martin.

“They were tough to break down,” Martin said. “Credit to Richmond, they were organized defensively and credit to us that we respect every opponent and come out with energy and enthusiasm.” 

This is the black and gold’s first conference game of the season, according to VCU Athletics.

The Rams dominated possession, ending the game with a total of 21 shots on goal, according to Martin. 

“We didn’t have to defend in our own half more than four to five times in the course of the game,” Martin said. “That can look easy sometimes but it’s not, you have to stay tuned in mentally, be aware of counterattacks and be sharp.”

There was a lot of back-and-forth between both teams, with the Spiders receiving a foul early in the game, awarding a free kick to VCU sophomore forward Kendyl Sarver at the six-minute mark. 

The Spiders had to make multiple defensive plays in the first half, resulting in offensive throw-ins for VCU.

The Rams had two consecutive corner kick opportunities by redshirt senior midfielder Anna Bagley in a span of 42 seconds.

It was a slow first half for both teams, with no goals going into the second half, according to Statbroadcast.

Richmond graduate student midfielder Caitlin Sutton received a foul four minutes into the second half.

There was a back-and-forth in fouls between both teams, resulting in multiple free kicks.

The Rams and the Spiders made many substitutions that led to shots on goal, renewing liveliness on the the field and into the stands. 

As a player, being ready to go in is key, according to VCU junior forward Paige Hoeger.

“The energy starts on the bench,” Hoeger said. “Keeping the energy high and continuing that on the field.” 

There were a total of 12 attempts made on goal, with five of them being from VCU junior midfielder Kanna Matsuhisa. 

Her confidence in her 1-on-1 skills contributed to her offensive pressure, according to Matsuhisa.

“Obviously they’re Richmond, they’re gonna scout on our team,” Matsuhisa said. “Trying to be aware that there’s a defender around me and believing in myself is a good cue to take on a defender.”

Hoeger scored after only being on the field for five minutes, breaking the tie at the 76-minute mark

Every shot matters, Hoeger said.

“Just playing every game like it’s your last,” Hoeger said. “When you get a shot, make it count.”

Towards the end of the game Richmond had yet to score, which resulted in a yellow card against Spiders senior defender Casey Merz for unsportsmanlike conduct, according to Statbroadcast. 

Both teams tried to make a lot of moves on the field offensively contributing to a high number of throw-ins as the game came to a close, according to Statbroadcast.

The Spiders maintained momentum defensively throughout the game, finishing with a total of 11 saves by Richmond senior goalkeeper Taylor Montague.

The Rams held out until the final whistle blow, ultimately securing their win against Richmond. 

It’s no secret that Martin loves to win, as this is her hundredth win as head coach of the team, she said. 

“It’s exciting, and to get it with this group that I so much enjoy working with means even more,” Martin said.

The Rams are confident as they prepare for the remainder of their season, according to Matsuhisa.

The VCU Rams will be going to Rudd Field in Amherst to play the University of Massachusetts Minutewomen on Thursday, Sept. 21 at 3 p.m.