Spectrum Editor’s Black History Month listicle

Illustration by Matthew Bennett

Chloe Hawkins, Spectrum Editor

The month of February calls for many things: a famous groundhog named Punxsutawney Phil, a national holiday dedicated to spreading unconditional love to partners and friends, and last but not least; a chance to highlight and celebrate all things surrounding Black culture. 

While it’s nice to always be on the look out for culture-driven events, here are some specific ones that are happening locally this month.

Black Art Exhibitions 

The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts has curated many Black-focused exhibitions for the month of February, and throughout the year. 

These installations include Isaac Julien’s “Lessons of the Hour—Frederick Douglass,” Ebony Patterson’s “Three Kings Weep” and a photo gallery by Dennis O. Williams titled “A Powerful Influence: Early Photographs of African Americans.” 

For all the art lovers in Richmond, this sounds like a day well spent enjoying the history behind Black history and artwork.

Rootin’ For Everybody Black

Strangeways Brewing is hosting a burlesque and variety experience titled “Rootin’ For Everybody Black” on Feb. 17. 

SparkDazzle Entertainment will be bringing Blackness in all forms during this experience. Strangeways’ doors open at 8:30 p.m., and the performance begins at 9 p.m.

Black History Museum

The Black History Museum and Culture Center of Virginia is presenting an interactive, educational event on Feb. 18 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. 

Notable Black figures, historical and current, will be portrayed by children throughout the museum. This is a fun way to learn about Black history while also supporting Black people of all ages. This event is free to the public.

Black Voices

TEDxVCU is collaborating with VCU Office of Multicultural Affairs to curate three TED Talk discussions centered around African culture and Black joy. Connect and find a sense of community with fellow minorities on campus at this event. It’s taking place at the VCU Student Commons on Feb. 21 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Black Book Expo

The Elegba Folklore Society is hosting its annual Black Book Expo: A Conscious Literary Festival from Feb. 25-26 from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. This expo will offer a deep dive into literary topics such as African spirituality, diasporic culture and social justice. 

Black authors will be present to meet and chat. Their books will also be available to browse and buy, and this festival is free.

2 Trackbacks / Pingbacks

1. Spectrum Editor’s Black History Month listicle
  2. Spectrum Editor’s Black History Month listicle The Commonwealth Times - HERU