Five VCU women’s basketball games to see this season

VCU players celebrate during a win against St. Bonaventure on Feb. 16. Photo by Kaitlyn Fulmore

Arrick Wilson, Sports Editor

VCU women’s basketball is coming back full steam, as the season creeps upon the Stuart C. Siegel Center. 

The black and gold’s last season ended in the Women’s National Invitation Tournament after facing Seton Hall University in a heartbreaking 70-67 loss. The Rams will return to the Siegel Center on Nov. 7 with 10 athletes from last season’s team out of their 14-player roster.

For VCU women’s basketball fans, here’s a list of games to look forward to this season, with a mix of non-conference and rivalry matches.

1. Atlantic 10 — VCU vs. University of Richmond Spiders: Feb. 22 (TBA)

The Richmond and VCU sports rivalry is one of the biggest rivalries across Virginia. The battle of who runs Richmond will be a great introduction to VCU’s Havoc. This game is a must-watch for VCU students. 

Last season, the Rams fell to the Spiders on VCU’s Senior Day, 59-57, when Richmond sophomore Addie Budnik scored the game-winning layup with 1.1 seconds left in the game. This heartbreaker should be enough to motivate the Rams to come back and defeat the Spiders this upcoming season. 

2. Paradise Jam — VCU vs. multiple teams: Nov. 24-26

The black and gold will be in this year’s Paradise Jam. The tournament is set to take place at the University of the Virgin Islands from Nov. 24-26. 

VCU will face Seton Hall University, the University of Georgia and the University of Wisconsin. The Island Tournament champion is to be crowned after the final game, according to the tournament website. The holiday tournament should be exciting for the black and gold as they will face high-level division one teams.

3. Atlantic 10 — VCU vs. University of Dayton Flyers: Feb. 15 (TBA)

University of Dayton Flyers defeated the Rams in the A-10 Championship Semifinals, ending its NCAA tournament hopes. This revenge game should be a highly contested matchup, as the black and gold look to defeat the Flyers. 

The black and gold was the only team that defeated the Flyers in the regular season, according to Dayton Athletics

4. Atlantic 10 — VCU vs. Saint Louis University Billikens: Jan. 1 (TBA)

The Rams will face the Saint Louis University Billikens in their A-10 conference opener. The black and gold lost 60-55 last season in the Siegel Center in their match against the Billikens. Hopefully, this new season brings a new look and start to the season. 

5. VCU vs. Lafayette College Leopards: Nov. 7 (TBA)

VCU will open its season against the Lafayette College Leopards at the Siegel Center. This game should be a warm-up for the Rams, as the Leopards lost 18 out of 30 games last season, according to Lafayette Athletics

Don’t forget to claim free student tickets for home games at the Siegel Center. For further information and directions, visit vcuathletics.com for step-by-step instructions. 

When at the Stu, remember to bring the Havoc.

The Rams will open up their season with a home matchup against Lafayette College on Nov. 7. The game will be played at the Stuart C. Siegel Center. For ticket information, visit vcuathletics.com.