Design editor Andy Caress says farewell

Illustration by Marissa Stratton

Andy Caress, Design Editor

I have worked for The Commonwealth Times for three years. 

For three years I have made countless mistakes. For three years I have learned from those mistakes. For three years I have designed the same layout on the same night. For three years I have won The CT multiple awards with what I’ve learned. For three years I have experienced some of the best times of my life. For three years I have experienced the most embarrassing moments of my life. For three years I met incredible people who constantly inspire me. For three years I saw those people come and go. For three years I have worked for The Commonwealth Times and this will be my last.

For three years I’ve thought about what I wanted to say when this time came — and I still don’t. The COVID-19 pandemic changed everything this and last semester. Honestly, being the design editor at The CT throughout COVID-19 was tough. I knew it would be a hard job and I was confident, yet I couldn’t help but feel disenfranchised. I had a dream of leading The CT in the same friendly environment I was first introduced to. 

I would like to thank all those that have taught me so much. Ryan, you introduced me to good typography. Jeffrey, I love texture because of you. MP, you gave me three things: #FF0000 #0000FF #FFFF20. I started here when I knew nothing and y’all taught me everything. 

To Gabi, Jayce, Ray and Sunny — thank you for your friendship, hard work and inability to form a coup against me as your editor. 

To all the non-designers — I’m glad I got to know y’all. You inspire me each and every day. I grew up with some of y’all in the production room and wish we could’ve ended it there.

1 Comment

1. Thank you for sharing your experience. It’s good to have someone to learn from, and something inspires you to new ideas. This is a very creative process, for which an appropriate tool is needed. I’m also just gaining experience, and this one https://amadine.com/ was perfect for me