Endorsements, parole: What you missed this week in the General Assembly

Former Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe and Richmond Mayor Levar Stoney got stuck in an elevator on their way to endorse former Vice President Joe Biden. CT File Photo

Hannah Eason, News Editor
Andrew Ringle, Managing Editor

Photo illustration by Andy Caress

Politicians get stuck in elevator on way to endorse Biden 

Former Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe tweeted a photo on Monday of himself and Richmond Mayor Levar Stoney, along with nine other people, stuck in an elevator on their way to a news conference at the state Capitol. Richmond firefighters got the group out of the elevator after about 30 minutes. The conference was held for state delegates to endorse former Vice President Joe Biden ahead of Tuesday’s primary election.

House and Senate need consensus on bill granting parole

A bill that would reestablish parole in Virginia is now being discussed by a conference committee after having passed the state Senate with a substitute. Although the House of Delegates passed House Bill 33 in a 52-45 vote, the Senate passed it with a substitute that the House rejected. Now, both chambers must come to a consensus before arriving in the governor’s office.

Bill requiring screening for postpartum depression goes to conference

HB 42 would require practitioners to screen for postpartum depression in women who are pregnant or have been pregnant in the last five years. A Senate amendment added language that would require a screening once per year for two years, instead of annually. The Senate requested a conference committee on Monday.

Bill prohibiting unauthorized solid waste dumps passes House and Senate

HB 1352 prohibits solid waste disposal on an unpermitted facility, and states that unauthorized waste on a person’s property can be used as evidence. The bill passed the House and Senate, and now awaits the signature of the governor before it can become law.

Race requirement ban garners full support of GA

A  bill out of the General Assembly would end the requirement for couples to identify their race before filing marriage records with the state registrar. Sponsored by Sen. David Sutterlein, R-Roanoke, SB 62 has received unanimous support from Virginia lawmakers. 

Speed cameras to be allowed near schools, highway work zones

Current law requires police officers to chase down a speeding car in order to give the driver a ticket. HB 1442 would change that, allowing police to install speed cameras at highway work zones and school crossing zones. Each camera would take a series of images to gauge vehicle speed, and any driver exceeding 10 mph over the speed limit would receive a ticket in the mail.