What’s happening: Feb. 19 events calendar

See Something

THURS., 2/20

ICA artist lecture by Lavar Munroe 

The Department of Painting and Printmaking will host an artist lecture from Bahamian artist Lavar Munroe, whose work includes painting, drawing, sculpture and installation art. The talk will be held at the Institute for Contemporary Art. For more information, contact Kat Wilson at papr@vcu.edu or visit the VCUarts painting and printmaking website. 

12:30 p.m, Institute for Contemporary Art (601 W. Broad St.) Free.

TUES., 2/25

‘If Beale Street Could Talk’ Screening and Discussion

The Office of Multicultural Student Affairs will host a screening of  “If Beale Street Could Talk,” directed by Barry Jenkins. The film is based on the James Baldwin novel of the same name. A discussion about Baldwin’s contributions to black America will follow the screening. 

6 – 7:30 p.m., OMSA office, University Student Commons (907 Floyd Ave.) Free.

Do Something

SAT., 2/22

Open Mic Night

The Afghan Student Association will host an open mic night with spoken word performances, music, food and other live performances. For more information, contact Nazaneen Anwari at anwarin2@mymail.vcu.edu.

5 p.m., Park Plaza Apartments (310 W. Franklin St.) Free.

SUN, 2/23

Student Activism Lecture

University of Virginia student activist Zyahna Bryant will be the guest speaker for a conversation about the history and future of activism in the U.S. The event is tied to the Virginia Museum of History and Culture’s current exhibit, “Determined: The 400-Year Struggle for Black Equality.” Bryant is featured in the exhibit for her efforts in activism in Charlottesville.

2 – 5 p.m., Virginia Museum of History and Culture, (428 N. Arthur Ashe Blvd.) Free. 

Learn Something

THURS., 2/20

GRTC Travel Session

There will be a learning session about how to navigate the GRTC bus system and the routes around both the Monroe Park and Medical campuses hosted by VCU Parking and Transportation. To register, visit the department’s website. For more information, contact Kendra Norrell at commute@vcu.edu

2 – 3 p.m., Room 1105, Academic Learning Commons, (1000 Floyd Ave.) Free.

FRI., 2/21

VMFA Artist Talk: Paul Rucker

The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts will host an artist talk with guest speaker Paul Rucker, a multidisciplinary artist who combines visual art, media and live performances to cover issues such as mass incarceration, police brutality and other institutional injustices. He will discuss elements of his work, including a video installation, “Proliferation,” that shows the growth of the U.S. prison system.

6:30 – 7:30 p.m., Leslie Cheek Theater, VMFA (200 N. Arthur Ashe Blvd.) $8

Have suggestions for the events calendar? Email spectrum@commonwealthtimes.org