Democrat incumbent VanValkenburg wins in House District 72 against Republican Vandergriff

Democrat incumbent Schuyler VanValkenburg upseated GayDonna Vandergriff in House District 72. Information compiled by Hannah Eason. Infographic by Rey Carlson

Taylor Toben, Contributing Writer

Democrat incumbent Schuyler VanValkenburg won the state House District 72 seat by 54% against Republican GayDonna Vandergriff.

Vandergriff  received 46% of the vote.

VanValkenburg won the election in 2017 to replace Republican Del. Jimmie Massie. On his website, he outlined access to affordable healthcare, increased funding for public schools and women’s choice over reproductive rights as important issues.

On her website, Vandergriff’s priorities included creating jobs in District 72, access to quality and affordable healthcare, increased funding for public schools and lower higher education costs.

District 72 covers Henrico County and voted Democrat in the 2017 governor and 2018 U.S. Senate races, electing Gov. Ralph Northam and Sen. Tim Kaine.

House District 72 was one of the 11 House districts found to be illegally racially gerrymandered and was redrawn in February. The current district is 1.9 points less Republican after the redistricting, but still leans 0.6 points toward Democrats.

The redistricting eliminated eastern parts of the district such as parts of Lakeside and Laurel near the Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens. It added eastern parts of Glen Allen.

According to the most recent financial file from Jan. 1 to Sept. 30, Vandergriff’s campaign raised $374,349 and VanValkenburg raised $568,638.

Vandergriff’s largest donations were from the Republican State Leadership Committee, which donated $167,500 and Colonial Leadership Trust PAC, which donated $133,657.

VanValkenburg’s largest donations were from Democratic Party of Virginia, which donated $219,275 and Planned Parenthood of Virginia, which donated $76,849.