Flurry of second-half goals leads Rams over Greyhounds

Junior midfielder Samantha Jerabek logged a team-high six shots in the win over Loyola (MD). CT file photo

Noah Fleischman, Sports Editor

When it rains, it pours. And for women’s soccer it was pouring goals in the second half, scoring four in the final 30 minutes. 

The burst led the Rams to defeat Loyola (Md.) 4-0 in Richmond to extend their win streak to three games to open the season. 

Sophomore defender Lana Golob broke the scoreless tie in the 60th minute with a header off redshirt-junior midfielder Emma Kershner’s cross. 

Junior midfielder Lyndsey Gutzmer joined the scoring in the 75th minute as she beat Loyola goalie Lily Andres on the ground to push the Rams’ lead to two. 

Three minutes later, Gutzmer helped pad the VCU lead with her second goal of the match off a corner kick. The ball rattled around a swarm of players in the box before rolling to Gutzmer, who scored the fifth goal of her VCU career. 

It only took 51 more seconds for the Rams to strike again. Golob continued with the scoring parade, putting it in the back of the net for her second goal of the match. Golob kicked it over Andres after a free kick from junior midfielder Samantha Jerabek.

“That happens sometimes,” coach Lindsey Martin said of the flurry of goals. “The floodgates open a bit, so we knew it was coming. We thought it was coming, but they made us wait a little bit more than we wanted to today.”  

The Rams dominated possession early on, outshooting the Greyhounds 4-0 in the first 15 minutes, including one on frame. 

“We just couldn’t capitalize on our chances, and when that happens you get a bit of frustration and impatience and you start making poor decisions,” Martin said. “So, at halftime our discussion was just relax, the opportunities are going to continue to come.”

Time of possession favored the Rams’ 58% to the Greyhounds’ 42%, but the ball did not venture past midfield often for Loyola. The Greyhounds only had the ball in their attacking zone 17% of the time they had it. 

Sophomore forward Idelys Vazquez crossed it into the box in the 27th minute, the Rams’ first opportunity inside the six yard box, but a Greyhounds defender deflected it. 

The Rams logged three corners in the first half, but could not generate any offense from them. Andres made two saves in the first 45 minutes for Loyola.

Loyola did not record a shot until the 74th minute, forcing redshirt-sophomore Grace Young to make her only save of the night. 

“If you let teams hang around with you in a zero, zero scoreline, anything can happen,” Martin said. “That’s what we talked about at halftime as well. … We let them hang in, make sure we don’t let that get the best of us in the second half.”

The black and gold outshot Loyola 24-1, including seven on goal. VCU also led in corners with nine compared to Loyola’s zero. 

The Rams are back in action on Sunday as they host UNC-Wilmington at 7 p.m.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply