Tennis has mixed results over weekend

Freshman Rayane Stable won the first set in his match against ODU. Photo by Jon Mirador

Noah Fleischman, Sports Editor

Tennis went 1-2 over the weekend — the Men’s team hit the road to face Old Dominion and the Women played two matches at home.

Women’s

William & Mary

The Black and Gold fell 5-2 to former Colonial Athletic Association rival William & Mary March 30.

VCU dropped the doubles point but managed to win the first of the three doubles matches, as senior Anna Rasmussen and junior Noumea Witmus beat the Tribe’s duo of Vitoria Okuyama and Clara Tanielian 6-1.

The Rams only won two of six singles matches against the Tribe.

Sophomore Paola Exposito Diaz-Delgado knocked off Natalia Perry 7-5, 6-2. Witmus managed to win the second singles point for the Rams, as she beat the Tribe’s Lauren Goodman 6-3, 6-4.

Senior Anna Rasmussen (left) and junior Noumea Witmus won both of their doubles matches over the weekend. Photo by Wessam Hazaymeh

James Madison

The Rams knocked off the Dukes 5-2 March 28 at the Thalhimer Tennis Center.

The duo of Rasmussen and Witmus swept the Dukes’ pair of Abby Amos and Daniela Voloh 6-0 to start the contest for the Rams.

Sophomores Marina Alcaide Bakkari and Sofia Sualehe teamed up to secure the doubles point for VCU after winning 6-4 over Jona Roka and Amanda Nord.

The Rams stayed hot during singles matches, as Exposito Diaz-Delgado knocked off James Madison’s Daria Afanasyeva in straight sets 6-0, 6-3. Sophomore Kanako Yano quickly followed Exposito Diaz-Delgado, defeating Roka in straight sets 6-2, 6-0.

Witmus swept her singles match to seal the win for the Rams, knocking off Emma Petersen 6-4, 6-3.

Men’s

The Rams fell to Old Dominion 4-1 March 31 at the Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center in Norfolk, Virginia, after falling behind 3-0 to start the contest.

Old Dominion swept the doubles point as the Monarch’s Luca Maldoner and Nicola Vidal knocked off junior Javier Amantegui and freshman Rayane Stable 6-3. Jannik Giesse and Oliver Tobisch earned the doubles point for Old Dominion as they defeated senior Philip Mobius and freshman Stefan Petrovic.  

The Rams struggled to earn an early point early as the Monarchs took the first two matches.

Old Dominion’s Francois Musitelli knocked off Petrovic in straight sets 6-3, 6-4. Tobisch also defeated the Rams’ Amantegui in straight sets 6-1, 6-4.

Senior Arvid Noren earned the Rams’ lone point after defeating Giesse in straight sets 6-4, 6-3.

The Monarchs secured the match-clinching point, as Aziz Kijametovic knocked off Stable in three sets 6-2, 1-6, 2-6.

Women’s Tennis will host Marshall April 5 at 2 p.m. Men’s Tennis will be back on the court April 13 at UNC-Wilmington at 2 p.m.