Track and Field successful on senior day

Redshirt-senior mid-distance runner Nichelle Scott won the 400 meter dash with a time of 56.98. CT File Photo

Noah Fleischman, Sports Editor

Track and Field dominated at the Ram Invite March 22-23, winning six events, on senior daya.

Women’s

Redshirt-freshman thrower Kayla Merkel won the javelin throw, logging 41.59 meters. Senior thrower Camora Sanders took the crown in discus after posting a 46.66-meter toss.

Freshman jumper Amari Jackson placed first in triple jump, logging 11.53 meters.

Redshirt-senior mid-distance runner Nichelle Scott won the 400-meter dash with a time of 56.98. Senior mid-distance runner Ashley Greenlee and senior hurdler Ann Sheehy posted times of 57.21 and 58.16, for third and fifth place, respectively.

The Rams’ 4-x-100 meter relay team of junior sprinter Kayla Smith, senior sprinter Taylor Watkins, junior hurdler Khoi Banks and senior sprinter Latrice Morris posted a time of 47.06 for a second-place finish.

Morris finished third in the 100, logging a time of 11.99. Junior mid-distance runner Ashley Brown finished third in the 800 with a time of 2:17.03.

Men’s

Freshman hurdler JeVon Waller took first in the 200-meter with a time of 22.10. Redshirt-senior sprinter Nicholas Buckingham finished fourth in the event at 22.58.

Redshirt-junior jumper Bashir Idris recorded a 15.13-meter leap in the triple jump to win the event.

Freshman thrower Jaekob Vollbrecht and sophomore thrower Ebenezer Belayneh both logged throws of 46.44 meters in discus for second and third place, respectively.

Vollbrecht finished fourth in the hammer throw with a toss of 44.21 meters.

Junior hurdler Ian Davis finished fourth in the 110 meter hurdles with a time of 14.68.  

Track and Field will compete at Richmond March 29-30 at the Fred Harvey Invitational.