An Ode to Self Care

Illustration by Alex Hwee.

Shaun Jackson, Staff Columnist 

RLWR: Flowers – iyla

I’m three months into owning a cat after deciding to get one for the longest time. I love her to death already, but she sheds everywhere. And after finding cat dander on everything I own, I think I might be allergic. What should I do?

Having a cat myself, this is probably gonna hurt me as much to say as it will be for you to hear, but your physical being is screaming for you to re-home your pet. Since you probably didn’t know you were allergic before you decided to get a cat, you may want to consult with your physician and see if there is something you can take for your newfound allergies. Also, hypoallergenic breeds are a thing. Keep in mind that, for your own health, you may just need to find her a new home.

As a male who identifies as a feminist, who is also hella awkward, how should I go about flirting?

First, read the room. I think many awkward moments could be avoided if people just paid attention to their surroundings before trying to spit game. Secondly, ask yourself: Is it an appropriate time and place for you to flirt? Do you have any indication that advances might be welcome? Is there anyone who might feel uncomfortable if you started flirting? If you don’t have clear and positive answers to these questions, then it’s probably a no.

If you do have a handle on the situation, then it really just comes down to being respectful and not saying anything stupid. The goal is to merely hint at a little bit of romantic intent. Good luck!

So if people have the right to support homosexuality, by that logic people also have the right not to support it. Do you agree or disagree?

For me, it depends on whether you’re talking about natural rights or legal rights. I would agree that people have the natural right to their beliefs and can support whatever they want so long as they aren’t harming anyone. However, I do not agree that people have the legal right for their belief-based actions to infringe on the legal rights of others.

Is it possible to become good, close friends with someone you’re having sex with without properly “dating” them?

Dating is merely a courtship ritual. You don’t have to date, but if you’re bonding with a sexual partner, it is going to be difficult to keep things mutually platonic without a lot of honest rules on how and what you want from your dynamic.