Streak snapped: Women’s Soccer falls in Philly

Photo by Teresa Bricker

Noah Fleischman 
Contributing Writer

Women’s Soccer ended its win streak at seven games this past weekend after the Rams fell to St. Joseph’s University Sunday afternoon. The Black and Gold defeated Davidson College earlier in the week to extend the streak to seven games.

St. Joseph’s

VCU (10-3, 5-1 A-10) fell into an early two-goal deficit in Philadelphia and could not dig its way out as the Hawks snapped the Rams’ seven-game winning streak Oct. 7, 2-0. The defeat also marked the Rams’ first Atlantic 10 loss of the season.

The Hawks took an early lead as senior forward Dakota Mills found the back of the net in the fourth minute on the first shot of the game for SJU. The goal was only the fifth allowed by the Rams in their last eight games, as they outscored opponents 18-5.

SJU struck again in the 13th minute as senior midfielder Michaela Finneyfrock beat VCU goalkeeper Audrey Sanderson for the Hawks’ second goal of the match.

The Rams only recorded three shots in the first half, two of which were from sophomore midfielder Samantha Jerabek, with one on frame. Redshirt-junior defender Amanda Tredway added the third shot, but it was saved by the Hawks.

Tredway received a yellow card in the 69th minute for a dangerous play in the air. The caution is Tredway’s first in the past two seasons, but sixth in her career.

The Hawks outshot VCU 12-8. Jerabek led the Rams in shots with three. Sanderson recorded two saves on four SJU shots on goal.



The Black and Gold defeated Davidson 3-1 Oct. 4 at Sports Backers Stadium, as three different Rams scored in the win.

“I think we are in a really good place in the A-10 at 5-0 and we just want to keep the momentum going,” said VCU head coach Lindsey Martin after her squad’s fifth straight A-10 win. “You want to stay undefeated. That’s the ultimate goal, a perfect season.”

VCU came out firing in the first 10 minutes of the match, recording three shots, including a shot by Jerabek that hit the post in the ninth minute.

Senior forward Kelly Graves put the Rams on the scoreboard in the 12th minute as she rocketed a shot into the back of the net from just outside the 18-yard box. The goal marked Graves’ fifth of the season — the second highest total on the team behind Jerabek’s eight.

Davidson’s Michele Manceaux used her head to score for the Wildcats in the 31st minute, tying the game at one apiece. That tally was the only time a Davidson shot got past senior goalkeeper Audrey Sanderson in the match, as she recorded one save on two shots on goal.

The Rams went to the halftime break tied at one on the scoreboard but outshot the Wildcats 14-2 in the period. VCU only recorded two shots on goal in the first half.

Junior midfielder Alyssa Tallent put the Rams ahead in the 53rd minute on a blast from 30 yards out off a pass from junior defender Susanna Friedrichs.

Tredway put the nail in the coffin as she recorded her first goal of the season, heading the ball into the net off a cross from Friedrichs. The two assists on the night gave Friedrichs four on the season to go along with her two goals.

“We didn’t make any tactical adjustments [at halftime], we just talked about being ourselves,” Martin said after the match.

The Rams committed 11 fouls to Davidson’s five, but the Wildcats’ Alexa Landsberger was issued a yellow card in the 81st minute.


The Black and Gold will be back in action Oct. 11 at Sports Backers Stadium hosting the University of Richmond at 7 p.m. They will then travel to faceoff against the University of Massachusetts Amherst at 1 p.m.


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply