Bison snap Field Hockey’s five-game winning streak

Nile McNair

The VCU Field Hockey team split its’ weekend games by defeating St. Francis University 1-0 in overtime on Friday before losing to Bucknell University 3-2 on Sunday. The Rams (6-4) have now won five of their last six contests and return home this week with games against Rider University on Wednesday Oct.3 at 11 a.m and UMass-Amherst on Sunday Oct. 7 at 1 p.m.

Bucknell

This road matchup for VCU was higher-scoring than the previous game against St. Francis. VCU started fast and scored the first goal of the game.

Senior forward Emily McNamara scored from a penalty corner after receiving a great pass from freshman defender Litiana Field. McNamara’s score put VCU up 1-0 early in the first half.

The Bison responded in a big way during the first half with three unanswered goals. Lexi Quick evened the score a 1-apiece off a penalty corner of her own.

Bucknell’s next score came from the team’s leading scorer Brittany Willwerth. A penalty stroke goal about twenty minutes into the game gave Willwerth her seventh of the season.

The final goal of the first half came from Bucknell’s Nicole Rupnik — a deflected shot that found its way into the net. Rupnik’s goal gave the Bison a 3-1 lead heading into halftime.

Midway through the second half, the Rams scored for the second time. This goal came from freshman defender Janne Wetzel, with Field converting her second assist of the game.

With Wetzel’s goal, VCU was able to close the deficit to one point, but they were unable to complete the comeback. Neither team scored the rest of the game, and the Rams lost 3-2, snapping their five-game winning streak.

St. Francis

Looking to continue their four-game winning streak, VCU went on the road to play against the St. Francis Red Flash. A defensive struggle prevailed throughout the game as neither team scored in either half.

Both teams had opportunities during the first and second half. The Red Flash finished with seven total shots, while the Rams finished with eight. VCU racked up six of its eight shots during the second half.

VCU freshman goalkeeper Sasha Elliott pitched a shutout, including a save in overtime.

In overtime, sophomore midfielder Maite Sturm took it upon herself to finish the game, scoring an unassisted goal in the seventy-fifth minute to end the contest. Sturm’s goal was the breakthrough VCU needed to secure the win and extend its win streak to five games.

The 1-0 win over St. Francis extended VCU’s win streak to five.