Students raise concerns about VCU purchase of Mansion nightclub

Photo by Erin Edgerton
Photo by Erin Edgerton

Student and teacher advocates for adjunct pay equity are questioning the need for VCU’s purchase of a nightclub on campus last week.

VCU bought Mansion 534, on North Harrison Street, for $3.5 million. Michael Porter, a university spokesperson, said the purchase is part of the university’s overall real estate acquisition. He said the property is surrounded by existing university buildings like the Siegel Center, the West Broad Street Parking Deck and the Grace and Broad Residence Centers.

Porter initially said there was no specific plan for the property when reached by the Commonwealth Times Wednesday. But on Friday, he said university plans to use the space short-term for the School of the Arts to fill an immediate need for classroom and exhibit space.

The building was last appraised at $819,000, according to city records. The former owner, Commonwealth Holdings Group, bought the two-story, 7,100 square foot building in 2008 for $600,000.

Students For Equal Adjunct Pay said the money spent on the purchase is irresponsible when the adjunct faculty are paid below the poverty level and student tuition increased by 3.8 percent this school year.

“They aren’t seriously considering ways of dealing with the bigger problem of adjunct equity in a way that doesn’t negatively impact the student body,” said a Students For Equal Adjunct Pay member who declined to give their name. “There have been promises of action and effort to find a way around this problem.”

Students For Equal Adjunct Pay said they have been in contact with School of the Arts Dean Shawn Brixey and other members of the administration about adjunct pay equity.

The group is hosting an event at Mansion with Young Democratic Socialists at VCU and VCUarts AOFP Feb. 28 at 6 p.m. to raise awareness to the issue and gain support.

“From the adjuncts perspective, it feels like they’re being laughed at,” the Students For Equal Pay member said. “As a student I personally find it degrading, and for many of us in the art department, adjuncting is a very real possibility in our future.”

SaraRose Martin, News Editor