VCU Globe wins national award for innovation in international education

VCU Globe will receive an award for creating successful models to internationalize the campus, University Public Affairs announced.

The Andrew Heiskell Award for Innovation in International Education will be presented to Globe at this year’s Best Practices in Internationalization Conference in New York City March 16.

“This award affirms the fact that VCU Globe is an innovative and unique experiential learning program that prepares students to live and work in a globalized world,” said Jill Blondin, director of VCU Globe. “The program offers a nurturing environment for students to develop intercultural agility.”

Since its launch in 2013, 171 students have completed the program. Globe is a starting point for students who want to pursue careers dealing with international issues after graduation.

The program has 295 students enrolled in 59 different majors. Students in it are required to complete 12 credit hours of globally-focused classes that lead to a certificate in global education. They are also required to complete a minimum of 40 service hours both in Richmond and abroad.

“We hope these programs will not only be adapted by institutions for their own campuses, but that they will also spark new creative ideas for internationalization,” said IIE President and CEO Allan E. Goodman.

This is not Globe’s first time getting recognition for its achievements. Globe also won NAFSA’s, Association of International Educators, 2015 Senator Paul Simon Spotlight Award, given to institutions with specific innovative international programs or initiatives.

Logan Reardon, Contributing Writer