Women’s tennis dominates VCU 4-1 Invitational

Photo by Michel Maulding

After a tough loss to Florida Atlantic University to open the season, the Rams dominated the VCU 4-1 invitational by only losing one match in two games. The Black and Gold downed the Dragons of Drexel University 4-1 Friday afternoon before sweeping the Campbell Camels 5-0 Saturday afternoon.

Photo by Michel Maulding

Campbell

VCU swept Campbell to close out the VCU 4-1 Invitational, marking their second win on the season. The Rams did not lose a set in the Saturday matchup. Similarly to the matchup against Drexel, the freshmen powered the Rams to victory.

Freshmen standout Paola Exposito Diaz Delgado swept her opponent at the No. 2 singles court, 6-0, 6-0, as she gave the Rams an early 1-0 victory. During the 4-1 Invitational Diaz Delgado was on a hot streak, only dropping three games. Freshmen Marina Alcaide Bakari clinched the victory for the Rams, winning in straight sets 6-3, 6-2.

After an easy first set, Junior Anna Rasmussen came from behind in her matchup on court one, winning the second set 6-4, after going down 4-3. Sophomore Kanako Yano finished the sweep for the Rams by winning in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4.

Photo by Michel Maulding

Drexel

The Rams cruised past Drexel to open the 4-1 Invitational.

VCU bounced back after a tough loss to FAU in their season opener. The Rams dropped a mere 13 games throughout the matchup Friday. Rasmussen set the tone for the Black and Gold in singles play by winning her match handily 6-1, 6-0. Rasmussen improved her singles record to a team best 5-2. But, it was the play of the underclassmen that powered the Rams to victory on Friday.

Freshmen Melissa Ifidzhen and Sofia Sualehe opened the match with a win on the doubles court, defeating Providence and Cruz of Drexel, 6-3, 6-2. This marks the third win of the season by the freshmen pair. Freshmen Paola Exposito Diaz Delgado extended the Rams’ lead in the match, 3-0, after a dominant second set. Freshmen Marina Alcaide Bakari sealed the deal for the Rams by winning both sets 6-2, marking her second win of the young season.

Photo by Michel Maulding

The Black and Gold will look to carry over the momentum from the dominant play in the 4-1 Invitational when they return to action Tuesday, Jan. 30 at home against Old Dominion University. The Rams’ match against Morgan State University Sunday was postponed.

Rodney Robinson, Contributing writer