Women’s basketball sees comeback fall short

Photo by Casey Cole

Women’s basketball traveled north Sunday for a battle against the Minutewomen of the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. The Black and Gold fell by a final of 79-75, dropping the Rams to 4-14 on the season.

Photo by Casey Cole

UMass was looking to secure their first A-10 win of the year. The Rams got off to a slow start in the first quarter, allowing 25 points while only scoring 14 of their own.

After getting off to a fast start the Minutewomen did not relinquish their lead for the rest of the game. The Black and Gold did, however, bounce back after their slow start by outscoring UMass for the remaining three quarters.

In a high scoring affair, the Rams had four players in double digits. Freshman guard Tera Reed led VCU with 15 points to go along with five rebounds. Both teams combined for a total of 22 made three pointers, but committed 30 turnovers.

Photo by Eric Marquez

UMass had a star player on the floor in freshman guard Bre Hampton-Bey — Hampton-Bey ended the game with a whopping 31 points. Her performance along with Umass hitting clutch free throws down the stretch allowed the minutewomen to defeat VCU.

The Women’s team will have their next game on the road, as they take a trip to go face the La Salle University Explorers, who are just above the Rams in the A-10 standings.

Nile McNair, Contributing writer