Track and field: Keydet Invitational

KINGSTON, RI - FEBRUARY 21: Racheed Davis #503 of VCU competes during the menÕs triple jump during Day 2 of the Atlantic 10 Indoor Track and Field Championships at Mackal Field House at the University of Rhode Island on February 21, 2016, in Kingston, Rhode Island. (Photo by Daniel Petty/Atlantic 10)

The Black and Gold track and field teams opened up the Keydet Invitational at Virginia Military Institute this past Friday and Saturday —  the men’s team finished the meet with a total of 26.5 points, placing them 11th out of 16 schools. The women totaled 15.5 points, placing 14th.

KINGSTON, RI – FEBRUARY 21: Zayd Abdul-Ali #499 of VCU and Nicholas Buckingham #502 of VCU compete during the menÕs 4×400-meter relay during Day 2 of the Atlantic 10 Indoor Track and Field Championships at Mackal Field House at the University of Rhode Island on February 21, 2016, in Kingston, Rhode Island. (Photo by Daniel Petty/Atlantic 10)

Sophomore Bryce Catlett set the pace becoming VCU’s top scorer on day one, collecting eight points after placing second in the 5,000-meter. Catlett finished with a time of 15:17.30.

Sophomores Ashley Brown and Judith White both placed in the top-10 in the 1,000-meter, adding points to VCU’s total. Brown placed sixth with 3:01.86 and White finished eighth at 3:04.79.

Junior Austin Conway added points for the men’s team during the 1,000-meter, placing eighth with a time of 2:33.85.

KINGSTON, RI – FEBRUARY 21: Ashley Greenlee #267 of VCU competes during the womenÕs 4×800-meter relay during Day 2 of the Atlantic 10 Indoor Track and Field Championships at Mackal Field House at the University of Rhode Island on February 21, 2016, in Kingston, Rhode Island. (Photo by Daniel Petty/Atlantic 10)

The 500-meter also showed the Rams finishing within the top eight as sophomore Kayla Smith and junior Ashley Greenlee combined for three points. Smith covered the two and a half laps in 1:16.88. Greenlee came in 10 seconds behind Smith.

In the 60-meter dash, seniors Jamik Alexander and Kareem Payne advanced to the semifinals. Alexander earned a spot in the second days’ 60-meter final after placing seventh with a time of 6.87.

Senior Amiaya Carey cleared a mark of 1.60m in the high jump and ended up claiming 1.5 points for VCU.

Sophomore Marian Osafo scored in the triple jump and set a personal best in the event with a mark of 11.12m.

On the final day of the Keydet Invitational, both team added to their total points after a strong showing in the 4×400-meter relay.

Senior Kahlil Shephard sprinted to a fifth place finish in the men’s 400-meter with a time of 49.40.

Shepard also lead off the 4×400-meter relay team that scored big with a third place finish. Shepard was followed by fellow senior Zayd Abdul-Ali, sophomore Chukwuezugo Aguolu, and freshman Austin Hatchett. The team ran the relay in a collective 3:17.95.

The women’s 4×400-meter relay team placed third out of 20 teams. Smith set the pace during the first leg of the race and was followed by juniors Latrice Morris, Greenlee and Ann Sheehy.

KINGSTON, RI – FEBRUARY 21: Racheed Davis #503 of VCU competes during the menÕs triple jump during Day 2 of the Atlantic 10 Indoor Track and Field Championships at Mackal Field House at the University of Rhode Island on February 21, 2016, in Kingston, Rhode Island. (Photo by Daniel Petty/Atlantic 10)

Morris had a notable race during the 200-meter, completing her lap in 25.09, just shy of scoring position.

Sheehy’s 59.12 finish in the 400-meter landed her tenth place in the event.

After qualifying for the finals during the first day of the meet, Alexander claimed fifth place points in the 60-meter. Alexander’s time in the finals was 6.90.

Freshman Xyan Xrichardson took fifth place in high jump with a 2.00m leap. Xrichardson has placed in the top five in each meet he’s competed in thus far.

Track and field will return to action next weekend at the Liberty Kickoff in Lynchburg.

Jessica Wetzler, Staff Writer