Field hockey starts off hot

Senior goalkeeper Chessa Kownurko propelled the Rams to a pair of victories last week over Drexel University and Villanova University to lead field hockey to an unblemished 2-0 record in the early stages of their fall season.

Villanova

Kownurko and the Rams followed up their impressive season opener with a dominant 5-1 win over Villanova University Sunday afternoon at Cary Street Field.

Kownurko was the hero once again, as the WIldcats outshot the Rams 16-12, with 11 of those attempts on goal compared to just 8 for the Black and Gold. The redshirt-senior keeper turned in 10 saves. Villanova had ample opportunities to break through with 15 corners next to just 8 for VCU, but were never able to apply consistent pressure on goal.  

Junior forward and VCU’s all-time single season points leader Emily McNamara contributed a pair of goals on five shots. Freshman midfielders Svea and Maite Sturm collectively scored the other three goals for the Rams.

‘Nova’s Ana Sherwood, Kownurko, M. Sturm and VCU junior defender Hannah Fox were the only players from either team to log all 70 minutes of action.      

Drexel

Field hockey opened their season with a 1-0 victory Friday night over Drexel University at Cary Street Field.

The Rams scored their lone goal in the first half — the Dragon’s junior goalkeeper Erin Gilchrist turned away six shots.

Following a penalty corner, VCU freshman midfielder Maite Sturm scored at 16:09 — her first goal with the Black and Gold — for the only goal of the game.

The Rams defense, led by Kownurko, held strong. Kownurko obtained her first career shutout against Drexel, stopping all five shots that came her way.

The Dragon’s Tessa Bernheimer threatened to score at the 49:47 and 63:49 marks, but Kownurko turned her away on both occasions.

Keyris Manzanares