Baseball falls to Cavaliers, bests Colonials

Junior first baseman/outfielder J.P. Vail collected a base knock and scored two runs in the Rams' series against George Washington.

Junior first baseman/outfielder J.P. Vail went deep and scored two runs in the Rams’ series against George Washington.

Baseball split four games last week, bringing their record to 16-12 by virtue of two wins against The George Washington University.

Opening their week of games against the University of Virginia at The Diamond, the Rams fell to the Cavaliers, but rebounded by winning the last two matchups of a three-game series against GW.

Sunday

The rubber game of the series against George Washington showcased the Rams’ mettle, as they persevered in a 10-2 win over the Colonials.

Sophomore starting pitcher Michael Dailey notched his third win of the season, and senior center fielder Logan Farrar led the way at the plate with three hits.

Freshman shortstop Paul Witt had another stellar game and continued his hot streak, driving in three runs to raise his season batting average to a lofty .381.

Senior outfielder Alex Gransback and junior infielder Daane Berezo tallied two hits and two RBIs apiece, and freshman infielder Steven Carpenter also contributed a hit for the Rams.

VCU jumped all over the Colonials to open the game, scoring two runs on two hits in the bottom of the first.

An additional two hits in the latter half of the fifth gave the Rams a 3-0 lead, and Dailey shut down George Washington by carrying a no-hitter through five innings.

Three hits in the sixth — along with a productive groundout and flyout — brought George Washington to within one of the Rams, but Dailey got out of the jam without giving up the lead.

The bottom of the sixth featured VCU’s offensive vengeance at its finest, as the Rams scored seven runs to take a 10-2 lead.

After two errors and a hit-by-pitch, VCU had men standing on the corners. A single scored Witt, then two wild pitches and a walk loaded the bases. Berezo’s single to center scored two runs, and Farrar’s subsequent single scored another. Gransback’s double and Witt’s single added another three to the board, abruptly giving VCU a sizeable 10-2 lead.

Freshman reliever Hayden Moore and junior reliever Luke Crabb combined for three innings of shutout relief, giving VCU the series win and its second consecutive victory.

Saturday (1)

The opening game of the Saturday doubleheader resulted in a tight loss for the Rams as they fell to the Colonials by a final of 4-2 in the series opener.

Sophomore infielder Zac Ching helped the Rams early by playing small-ball and bunting in a run in the second inning.

George Washington fired back with three runs in the opening half of the third, but VCU junior utility man J.P. Vail brought VCU to within one with his first home run of the season.

The Colonials used a scoring opportunity to make it 4-2 in the top of the ninth, and shut down the Rams in the bottom half to seal the win.

Saturday (2)

VCU avenged the loss in the second game of the doubleheader, scoring eleven runs in a blowout of the Colonials.

Farrar, Gransback, and Carpenter all singled in the first to give VCU a 1-0 lead, and Ching’s bases-clearing double gave the Rams a 4-0 lead.

Senior catcher Dylan Isquirdo’s third-inning double contributed to another four-run frame for the Black and Gold, and VCU struck again in the seventh for three more.

Two eighth-inning runs for George Washington negated the shutout, but VCU closed out the game for an 11-2 win.

Wednesday

VCU’s game against the University of Virginia was another nail-bitter for the Rams, but ultimately dropped the game 4-2.

The Rams struck early with two runs in the bottom of the first, but the Cavaliers methodically plated four runs over the last five innings to cap the win.

Witt and Farrar each went 2-4 and scored a run. Senior designated hitter Darian Carpenter, junior infielder Mitchel Lacey and Isquirdo all racked up singles as well.

Witt singled in Farrar for the first run of the game, and a drop-third-strike allowed Witt to cross the plate. A UVA sacrifice fly brought the Cavaliers to within one, and another run in the sixth on a VCU error allowed them to tie the game.

An RBI single in the eighth and another run in the ninth gave UVA a 4-2 lead, which the Cavaliers were able to preserve despite VCU threatening in the bottom of the ninth with back-to-back singles.
Next, the Black and Gold return to the Diamond Tuesday to face the Tribe from the College of William and Mary and then hit the road again for a three game series against the University of Massachusetts Amherst.

By Adam Cheek