Cross-country wraps up season at NCAA Regional championships

Photo by Julie Tripp
Photo by Julie Tripp

Cross-country wrapped up the 2016 season at the NCAA Division One Southeast Regional championships at Panorama Farms in Earlysville, Virginia on Nov. 11.

The women’s team placed 26th out of 38 teams in the 6,000-meter with a score of 700 points. The men’s team competed in the 10,000-meter race, but were ineligible for team scoring due to a shortage of runners.

“They finished off their season well, we are in a good position going into the track season,” said VCU head coach Nicole Cook. “We are healthy and we made it through a tough season. The ladies raced well on a tough course. We have a young team and I’m excited with their growth and I’m proud of all their efforts this season.”

Freshmen Ashley Brown and Delaney Savedge led the women’s team in the NCAA regional race. Brown crossed the line first for the the Rams, finishing 122nd at 22:42.0, and Savedge finished in 129th place at 22:51.1.

Senior Emily Dyke and juniors Nichelle Scott and Courtney Holleran followed Brown and Savage to round out the Rams’ top five.

Scott placed third for the Rams in 135th place at 22:56.9. Holleran followed shortly after with a time of 23:27.8, finishing 164th. Behind Holleran was Dyke and freshman Judith White, posting times of 23:28.2 and 23:29.3, respectively.

Junior Kathleen Gardner was the final finisher for the Black and Gold team in 201st place with a time of 24:22.1.

Four VCU men competed at the NCAA Regional, but since VCU fielded just four runners the Rams were ineligible for team scoring.

Freshman Bryce Catlett led the way for the Rams for the fifth time this season, crossing the line at 32:00.8 and placing 116th in his first collegiate 10,000-meter run. Catlett’s 8,000-meter time was 26:06, beating his previous best of 26:17.

Junior Bismillah Alidost trailed behind Catlett in the 10,000-meter, finishing in 152nd place with a time of 32:43.2. Freshmen Lucas Sidle and Brandon Wells finished alongside each other with a time of 33:29.2 and 35:22.0, respectively. Wells was the third freshman to run for the Rams in Earlysville, Virginia.

“They finished off their season well, we are in a good position going into the track season,” Cook said. “We are healthy and we made it through a tough season. The men stepped it up and tackled the 10k course with poise. We have a young team and I’m excited with their growth and I’m proud of all their efforts this season.”

Cook said both teams improved by at least one minute overall and improved their average time. The team grew with confidence over the last year and Cook is excited to see how everyone can bring that confidence into the track season.

The transition for both teams begins as the track and field season approaches. Cook will be the cross-country/mid-distance coach for the season and coach Jon Riley will lead the teams in his ninth season.

All members of the women’s and men’s cross country team will be competing on the track and field team as either distance runners or mid-distance runners.

The track and field season begins Dec. 4 at the Christopher Newport University Holiday Open.

Jessica Wetzler, Contributing Writer