U.Va. professor takes leave after backlash from Black Lives Matter comments

Douglas Muir. Photo from University of Virginia School of Engineering and Applied Science.

A University of Virginia engineering professor is on leave after he made critical comments on social media about Black Lives Matter co-founder Alicia Garza speaking at the university.

“Black lives matter is the biggest rasist [sic] organisation [sic] since the clan [sic]. Are you kidding me. Disgusting!!!” said Douglas Muir in a Facebook comment on Oct. 4. Muir is expected to resume teaching classes at the university on Oct. 17.

U.Va. Executive Vice President and Provost Tom Katsouleas said in a statement he was disturbed and saddened by Muir’s remarks.

“This statement is inconsistent with the University of Virginia’s values and with its commitment to the principles of academic freedom,” Katsouleas said. “The University of Virginia stands firmly against racism and social injustice of any kind.”

The U.Va. School of Engineering and Applied Sciences and Darden School of Business both released statements expressing distaste for Muir’s comments and support for the diverse people in their student body.

Director of Communications for the Black Lives Matter Global Network, Shanelle Matthews, said in an email that what Muir did denies students the right or understanding of important social movements within a democracy.

“Black Lives Matter demands fundamental human rights for Black people,” Matthews said. “The Klan is a white supremacist organization with a long history of violently murdering black people. If Mr. Muir is unable to make the distinction between the two, he has no business teaching and the University of Virginia has an ethical obligation to fire him.”

According to the Cavalier Daily, the university’s student newspaper, Muir said he was wrong to make the comparison between BLM and the KKK and was saddened that he caused pain to the student body and faculty.

“This careless post was called out by many for ridicule,” Muir said in a statement, “I accept those criticisms and promise to take these hard lessons learned to heart as I go forward.”

Garza, who was at the crux of Muir’s Facebook comment, is one of three co-founders of the Black Lives Matter movement.

Last spring, another BLM co-founder, Opal Tometi, spoke at VCU. A few months before Tometi’s appearance, civil rights activists Cornell West presented at the Siegel Center, which was near-capacity.

STAFF WRITER

marylee clark. photo by sarah kingMary Lee Clark
Mary Lee is a senior studying journalism. She currently interns for RVAmag and GayRVA.com, in addition to writing for the CT. She previously worked as a makeup artist at Darkwood Manor, did lighting design at Trackside Theater (where she is now on the Board of Directors) and photographed for the Page News and Courier.
Facebook | LinkedIn
clarkml@commonwealthtimes.org