VCU Police respond to suspicious package near Monroe Park Campus

Note: this is an ongoing story.

The VCU Police Department responded to a suspicious package at the intersection of N. Lombardy and W. Hanover shortly before 7 p.m. on Thursday, according to university public relations.

Police said the package was “like they saw in New York,” according to junior political science major Laura Bryant.

Bryant said she was on her way to Balliceaux, located on N. Lombardy in the Fan district, for a Scott Barlow for School Board fundraiser when she was not allowed into the venue.

According to social media users, VCU PD would not allow customers to leave Balliceaux, either. Customers were eventually given the “all clear.”

The VCU spokesperson said students were sent a text message alert warning them to avoid the area and the situation was deferred to the Richmond Police Department. RPD would not comment on the situation at this time.

“I didn’t get any alerts, and since we live so close to the Fan it really scares me that I didn’t get one,” said Aaron Ni’jai, a senior marketing student.

VCU Police signaled the conclusion of the incident on Hanover/Lombardy at 8:04 p.m., according to the VCU Alert website.

NEWS EDITOR

Fadel Allassan. Photo by Julie TrippFadel Allassan
Fadel is a junior political science major. He is fluent in English, French and Sarcasm, and he probably doesn’t like you. Fadel enjoys writing about local, regional and national politics and making people drive him to Cook-Out. Fadel is too stubborn to write his own bio, so his executive editor had to do it for him. No hard feelings, though.
Facebook | LinkedIn | allassanfg@commonwealthtimes.org

EXECUTIVE EDITOR

Sarah King. Photo by Julie TrippSarah King
Sarah is a senior studying political science and philosophy of law. She is a copyeditor for INK Magazine and reporter for the Capital News Service wire. Last spring, the Virginia Press Association awarded Sarah 3rd place for Public Safety Writing Portfolio and the Hearst Awards recognized her as the 4th place winner for Breaking News Writing. In April, Sarah was invited to the White House for the Administration’s innaugural College Reporter Day. She previously worked as an editorial intern for as Congressional Quarterly Researcher and SAGE Business Researcher in Washington, D.C., as well as RVAmag and GayRVA.com
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | kingsa@commonwealthtimes.org