RAM IN ACTION: Sahbria McLetchie, Volleyball

After VCU’s 3-0 win over Charleston Southern University, Sahbria McLetchie has recrorded 89 kills this season. Photo by Erin Edgerton

Sophomore Sahbria McLetchie led the team in kills during her inaugural season with VCU last year with 383 kills. At the FGCU Hilton Garden Inn Invitational earlier this month, the 5-foot-10-inch outside hitter was one of the top players in the tournament with 47 kills.

Originally from San Antonio, many volleyball fans now describe McLetchie as one of Richmond’s favorite student athletes. As the Rams enter their 2016 season, McLetchie sat down with the CT to give fans a glimpse into the 2016 season.

What has been the most important lesson you have learned when it comes to volleyball?

Honestly, that it is just a game; at the end of the day that is what it is. If you lose a point you just have to keep going, just like in life — bad things happen, you just have to get through it and keep going.

The team suffered three losses in the tournament in August. What are you doing to overcome those losses and keep moving forward?

Early on in our season we had a lot of teammates out but now we are all getting back and coming together. So being able to play with everyone now I think is affecting our chemistry on the court because the more we play together, the better we become.

What are your personal goals for the season?

I want to work to be a better teammate. I really want to focus on trying to find ways to encourage my teammates individually because I know that we don’t always handle things the same way.

So I just want to focus on that and also work with the younger girls. We are a very young team and I just want all of us to get better with our volleyball IQ because in the end that is what will make us better.

Did you ever envision yourself playing at a college level let alone becoming a leader in kills for VCU?

No I never did. I don’t know I just never really thought of myself as good enough, so I didn’t play in middle school. But when I got to high school I started to get it, it all began to click, and then I guess I was a late bloomer. Everything sort of just happened, not really overnight, but I got good.

Would you describe yourself as a late bloomer?

Yeah because growing up I was never really good at volleyball. It was not until sophomore or junior year of high school that it started to click and I began to think I could do it.

You are one of the top players and have received many titles like Virginia Lottery Student Athlete and A-10 Rookie Squad, what can we expect from you this season?

There are a lot of matters I am dealing with at the time, but my top goal right now is to just get through the season healthy. We will see how it goes.

The Rams are back in action Tuesday at Kaplan Arena against the College of William and Mary. First serve is set for 7 p.m.

Keyris Manzanares, Contributing Writer