Richmond Mural Project hits 100-mural goal

Marka27
Photo by Sarah King

The walls in Richmond’s Arts District were pretty bare when the River City was designated the launch-site of the Richmond Mural Project in 2012.

For the project’s visionaries, Shane Pomajambo, executive director of the Art Whino gallery in Washington, D.C., and RVA Magazine founder R. Anthony Harris, the goal was to paint 100 murals throughout Richmond in five years.

“An arts district without art didn’t make sense to me,” Harris said in an interview with the Richmond Times-Dispatch. Harris said the project will continue into its sixth year, despite meeting the initial project goal this year, to further the concept of making Richmond a hot-spot for public art.

Local and internationally commissioned artists flocked to Richmond through the last half-decade to beautify walls all over the city, and on July 21, The Richmond Mural Project celebrated reaching its original 100 mural goal.

This year’s Richmond Mural Project season stretched from July 11-22, and featured work from artists ASVP, Handiedan, Waone of Interesni Kazki, Jacob Eveland, Jade, Jason Woodside, Marka 27, Naturel, Pat Perry, Taylor White and Vero Rivera. 

Richmond’s newest mural, collectively painted by more than 250 community members and artists, will be unveiled at Macdonald Avenue and Harbour Way on Aug. 27.

Graphic by Sarah Butler. Photo illustration by Sarah King.

Jesse Adcock. Photo by Julie TrippSpectrum Editor, Jesse Adcock
Jesse is a junior print journalism major and Arabic and Middle Eastern culture minor. He has walked in the valley with no water and bitten the heads off of snakes. // adcockj@commonwealthtimes.org