Poli Sci students travel to NH, meet the candidates

VCU journalism student Niyah White snaps a photo with GOP candidate Marco Rubio in Milford, New Hampshire. Photo courtesy of Niyah White

In the wake of the presidential primaries, 27 VCU students traveled to New Hampshire to hear from candidates including Rand Paul, Bernie Sanders, John Kasich, Chris Christie and Carly Fiorina.

As part of an 11-day trip in early January to study the primary process, students enrolled in “Election Campaigns and Communications,” an intersession political science course taught by professors Alexandra Reckendorf and Ronnie Clements, attended and volunteered at the New Hampshire Student Convention in Milford, NH.

“It’s one thing for students to read theories about how campaigns should operate, but it’s another thing for students to readily observe, first-hand, the way campaigns actually do operate,” Reckendorf said.

The trip allowed students who could not otherwise afford to study abroad a chance to travel for their education, and was financed through donations from VCU alumni David Baldacci, Bob Hansan, the Hansan Family Foundation and Board of Visitors member Bob Holsworth.

“It was an incredibly educational experience,” said junior political science major Julia Carney. “Far more goes into campaigns than I had previously realized.”

In July, VCU had no contacts with the campaigns in New Hampshire.

“When I first touched down in New Hampshire I didn’t know anybody and really didn’t have a clue how to find them,” Reckendorf said.

Reckendorf personally traveled from event to event to establish connections needed to teach the class.

“I was also able to meet people by simply visiting campaign events, like a (Chris) Christie town hall, a (Hillary) Clinton organizing event, a (Martin) O’Malley house party and a (Rand) Paul meet-and-greet at a diner,” Reckendorf said. “By the end of the trip, I had built a network of individuals working for the campaigns, as well as individuals who worked within the state government, state parties, and the media.”

During their trip, students had the unique opportunity to see candidates speak live, and according to Reckendorf, some students were able to interact with the candidates.

“Not only did these events allow them to hear from the candidates, but it also allowed them to add their own voice to the mix by asking questions,” Reckendorf said.

Reckenford said that at the class’  first stop, a student asked Marco Rubio about federal programs and how they can assist low-income parents and their children, while another student asked Rubio about college affordability.

Junior political science major Paula Olumide said she enrolled in the course to learn more about domestic politics.

“I felt extremely thankful to be reminded of the influence young adults have on the political future of the United States,” Olumide said.

The course also has a second component, which began during the spring semester, where students will partner with the nonpartisan group Virginia21 to help register voters and prepare for the Virginia primary in March.

“I think this course was a great additive to the VCU political science department because it is a very real and very engaging class,” Olumide said. “I think that if young people understood the importance of their vote, the appeal to be more politically engaged would grow and politics would change drastically.”

Staff Writer, Andrew Crider

Andrew Crider, photo by Brooke MarshAndrew is a junior economics major who has written for student newspapers since he was in high school. Andrew is interested in political history, aviation, photography and running. He has a tendency to refer to his peers, coworkers and bosses as “ma’am” or “sir,” but is getting better about referring to his friends at the CT by their first names instead. // Facebook

crideraa@commonwealthtimes.org