Scott’s Days at VCU come to an end

Photo courtesy of VCU Athletics
Photo courtesy of VCU Athletics

Men’s basketball’s historic run to the Final Four in 2011 was driven by unyielding heart and collective passion. This mentality was not exclusive to Shaka Smart and his men on the court; it was and remains to this day the spirit of the VCU community.

Since the Cinderella story, the VCU brand has skyrocketed in notoriety. Many Rams exemplify the character behind the recent success, but perhaps none more so than Scott Day.

Day, a former assistant administrative director for athletic communication, departed last week for a position at the University of Richmond after nine years with VCU.  

“It was a tough decision because I have so much heart for VCU,” Day said. “I will always be a part of the VCU family.”

Since he took over athletic communications in 2009, Day has seen the department’s website traffic grow to more than 300 percent and the social media engagement grow more than 700 percent.

“Across the board, our brand has grown unbelievably,” Day said. “It is honestly incomparable to when I arrived here in 2006. It’s a totally different world. Then, you could really only go to local bookstores to get VCU merchandise. Now, it’s all over the place.”

Day began his time at VCU as the primary contact for women’s soccer, baseball and track and field. He did not take long to climb up the ranks, assuming contact duties for 14 of the department’s 16 sports at one point.

When asked what stood out the most to him in his experience with the Black and Gold, Day praised VCU’s student athletes.

“I loved every single day, because I got to do what I loved every single day,” he said. “Obviously all the success with the brand centers around the Final Four, but getting to work with and see the growth of student athletes across the board was what I really enjoyed the most.”

Day’s reputation has grown alongside VCU’s. His now-former colleagues acknowledge the transition of the program since Day has been at VCU.  

“Not only is Scott on top and ahead of the game with his vision, it is clear to see his team and people respect and value his ideas,” said Wes McElroy of Fox Sports 910. “His department is by far the best and most personable I’ve worked with in all my years around college athletics.”

Day has parlayed his success at VCU into a similar but larger-scale role at U of R.

“I was looking for different challenges,” Day said when asked what lured him uptown. “I’ll be taking on more marketing and branding opportunities and expanding my resume, while my family and I get to stay in the city we love.”

Article by Zach Joachim, Contributing Writer