Father of deceased student asks public for help, information

Screenshot courtesy of Google Maps

The father of a VCU senior who passed away Halloween weekend is pleading for anyone with information of his son’s death to inform authorities.

Paul Ducic, the father, said his son was dressed as a doctor for Halloween. He is asking the public to think back to the morning of his son’s death and for anyone who remembers seeing a young man in a white lab coat walking in the area to contact Richmond Police.

According to Richmond Police, officers working on East Canal Street were flagged down in reference to a person, later identified as Christopher Ducic, down in the roadway shortly before 1:15 a.m. on Sunday, Nov. 1.

Police said Ducic was unconscious and not breathing. He was pronounced dead at the scene. Following an autopsy, the medical examiner determined Ducic’s death to be accidental and stemming from a fall.

“This is the kind of thing that will pretty much shake you to your core.” Paul told NBC12, “I can’t even begin to describe the horror we went through.”

Paul Ducic told NBC12 that 21-year-old Chris attended a party on the night of Halloween at his Triangle fraternity before attending two birthday parties with his fraternity brothers.

Afterward, Chris’ father said his son headed to Off-The-Hookah, a popular bar in Shockoe Bottom, where Chris’ friends left while he stayed behind with another group of unidentified friends.

Ducic’s body was found on the 100 block of East Canal Street, about one mile from Off-The-Hookah and a block from his residence on the 00 block of East Canal street.
Police said Chris had been

drinking the night of the fatal fall, but had yet to determine whether he was alone at the time he fell.

Paul Ducic told CBS6 that because his son’s body was found in close proximity to the fence, he presumably fell while trying to get over the fence.

Paul questions the reason his son had tried to get over the fence, although he told the network he does not believe any foul play was involved.

“Chris was one of the most intelligent people I’ve ever met, and he buried none of it,” said Shannon Minnich, a senior at Christopher Newport University who was close with Ducic in high school. “He was generous and kind, taking time out of his days and nights to help teach his friends and classmates.”

Minnich said her friend also had an innate ability to make anyone laugh, regardless of his or her sense of humor; his bright smile was contagious; on any given Monday or dreary morning, he would walk into the cafeteria and lift spirits with his presence; his propensity to love others was exceptional.

“Most significantly, Chris ensured that every single person he came into contact with felt included,” Minnich said. “Throughout the tough transitions of middle and high school, Chris Ducic’s capability to remind you of your personal value was unmatched.”

About a month after his son’s death, Paul Ducic is still looking for information regarding the death of his son. He said he hopes someone with additional information will provide him the closure he desperately seeks.

“I accept the fact that I probably won’t know what happened until I see him again, but I figured I would give this a shot,” he told CBS6.

Staff Writer, Fadel Allassan

Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 9.11.49 PMFadel is a sophomore print journalism major. He is fluent in English and French and enjoys writing about politics. // Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

allassanfg@commonwealthtimes.org

1 Trackback / Pingback

1. Black VCU Speaks holds vigil | The Commonwealth Times