Alpha Kappa Alpha, Alpha Phi Alpha win Fall Block step show

More than one thousand guests came out to attend the 30th annual Fall Block Step Show on Saturday at the Altria Theater.

Fall Block is one of six VCU student-run programs, and the homecoming committee sees the event as much more than just a step show. The committee described Fall Block as a production highlighting a portion of what greek life at VCU is about.

The event began around 7:25 p.m. with a performance from the Richmond Icons. Although this team was not in the competition, they received one of the warmest responses of the night from those in the crowd.

There were a total of 9 total teams that participated in the stepping exhibition: Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity and Sorority, Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Omega Psi Phi, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority and Iota Phi Theta Fraternity.

The event was hosted by DJ Rayvon From Richmond’s FM station 106.5 “The Beat.”

The show was filled with high energy stepping exhibitions before several judges who combined their scores at the finale to announce a winner.

The event lasted three hours and the ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc and the men of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc were awarded the first place prize.

Darius Stuvaints, who crossed into Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity this past Spring, recounts this as an experience he’ll never forget.

“The show was energetic and lively, and I feel like I left my heart and soul out there on that stage,” Stuvaints said. “Then they announced the winners and my heart was pounding until I heard them call us and we held up the trophy.”

Staff Writer, Marcus Blackwell

10603208_643080865787211_3552265949072858659_nMarcus is a junior majoring in mass communications with a concentration in broadcast journalism. Marcus enjoys sports and music. // Twitter | Facebook

blackwellm@commonwealthtimes.org