New Free Music App at VCU

Marcus Blackwell

M&M Media’s own Trebel Music has created a new application that gives college students the option to legally download free music, and the app is now available at VCU.

Music streaming and downloading has become extremely relevant to the everyday college student. The Trebel Music app provides unlimited downloading without having to spend any money. Chief of Product at M&M Media, Inc., Corey Jones, said he is excited about the service.       

“The majority of college music listeners take part in free services or free tiers of premium services that don’t allow individual song selection on mobile devices,” Jones said.

“Trebel is for the student that can least afford to pay but wants complete control over what they listen to.  We’re legitimizing the free download experience in a way that’s never been done.”           

The app was designed primarily by young adults and college students. CEO Gary Mekikian said students are getting an app made by people who are just like them.

“Trebel is by millennials for millennials.” said Mekikian. “Having young folks helm the app’s design is extremely important to us.”

With young designers taking the lead, they have  made many features that are geared towards the college student and what would appeal to them. Trebel designers, The majority of the music can be downloaded and listened to without a wireless connection. Also, users have the option to view a live feed that shows what songs are being downloaded and listened to the most at the time.

The Trebel Music app also syncs with the user’s current iTunes or Google Play libraries and automatically imports playlists. The new playlists can sync music from the app with songs the user already owns.

The app is setup to where, users are enabled to use virtual money to download and play music from their favorite artists

Mekikian said VCU is the perfect school for this application.

“Virginia Commonwealth is a large campus with one of the most socially active student bodies in the region,” Mekikian said.

“We want to develop long-term relationships with students who understand the value in what we are doing are excited to be a part of a new technology at an early stage.”