Hispanic Heritage Month: Forum for Students

Marcus Blackwell

As a part of Hispanic Heritage Month, the Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc. Zeta Alpha Chapter at VCU is hosting multiple events to celebrate Hispanic culture and heritage at VCU.

The next event for Hispanic Heritage Month, “Identity Crisis—Hispanic, Latino, Spanish?,” is on Oct. 6 in the Student Commons. About 30 students attended the “First Generation College Student Forum” event in the Commons last Thursday night.

Image courtesy of Tania Valencia
Image courtesy of Tania Valencia

As doors opened at 7 p.m., students entered the Richmond Salon room of the Commons and, after signing in, took their seats at the round tables.

In front of the students sat a panel of six students and alumni. Members of the panel included Danny Amaya-Ruiz, Sobeyda Rivera, Daniel Sanchez Valdez, Laura Choque, A’Jee Delaigle and Herleen Mokha.

The forum explored a variety of different topics, ranging from the basics of education to personal issues like remaining true to one’s culture while adapting to college life.

The discussion was free-flowing and allowed each person in attendance to have their opportunity to give perspective to their personal experiences. Panelists led the discussion and touched on struggles that first-generation Hispanic college students go through and how it can impact your school and home life. Personal accounts from the panelists made way for students in attendance to open up.

Valdez emphasized the importance in embracing one’s Hispanic heritage and being proud of who you are and where you come from.

“Being a first-generation college student is so important,” Valdez said. “You become a leader for the younger generation. You should be proud, I’m proud we’re all here.”

Before closing, there was a raffle drawing for a $25 dollar prize.