VCU volleyball finds its “quiet storm”

Jones’ power gives her an advantage against the opposition. photo by ali jones

Erika Robinson
Contributing writer

“The quiet storm.”

That’s the nickname given to VCU’s Kalah Jones. Now a senior, Jones crept into the sport — like, supporters say, a quiet storm.

Originally planning to run track in high school, her interest in volleyball moved her to try out for the team — she made it. Jones made enough of an impact to earn herself a Division I scholarship to Clemson University.

Seeking a new environment, Jones chose to transfer from the Tiger program to attend VCU after her freshman year.

I chose to come to VCU because I just wanted something different, new scenery,Jones said. Clemson is in a college town and being that VCU is in the city, I like that a lot better.

On the court, she is the go-to option for the Rams, ready to hit and dig. After having a productive sophomore and junior campaign, Jones hopes to continue her success for her final season in a Rams uniform. She has already started on her quest to have her best season yet, as she registered a career-high 23 kills in VCUs home opener against the College of William and Mary. 

Her individual athletic success makes her a leader on the court. Whether encouraging her teammates or getting a much-needed point, Jones gets it done. Her role on the court has changed upon her arrival at VCU but this year, with a young team surrounding her, Jones’ impact is critical for the Rams success this season.

This year I feel like Im more calm (on the court) as opposed to previous years,Jones said. I feel more emotionally steady because since I have to be a leader, I have to be able to keep my emotions pretty even-keel.

As the season continues, Jones remains optimistic about the team despite its youth.

With the talent we have on this team, we have more than enough potential to beat a lot of teams,Jones said. We will get down a little bit, we will lose momentum, but I know that once we pick it back up, nobody can stop us.

The team is Jones’ main focus. Her individual success comes second to the team, but her personal goal is to be better than she was last year.

For me, I want to be on the first team All Atlantic-10 team,Jones said. Ive gotten second team twice, but I really want to be on the first team and to get a ring. Thats my biggest goal.

While Jones is still unsure about her future aspirations after VCU and volleyball, she said she hopes to play overseas or continue her education to become a physicians assistant.

Last season Jones led the team with 369 kills, averaged 3.27 kills per set and had six double-doubles. The next home match is Sept. 15, at 7 p.m. in the Siegel Center.