Women’s soccer stalemates against the Tribe

Sophia Belletti
Staff writer

The VCU women’s soccer team competed against the College of William and Mary on Aug. 16 for the first time since the 2012 season. After 90 minutes, the contest ended in a scoreless draw.

VCU traveled to Albert-Daly Field in Williamsburg, Virginia, on August 16, for its first exhibition match of the season against The Tribe.

The Rams opened the game with a quick chance in the sixth minute. Freshman forward Julia Suarez took a corner kick that had to be punched away by W&M senior goalkeeper Caroline Casey to avoid a goal.

The Tribe responded quickly with a chance in the 10th minute. Sophomore midfielder Rachel Moore created some space and fired a shot that found its way into the hands of senior goalkeeper Emma Kruse.

Possession was back and forth to start the game, but the first half’s best chance came in the final five minutes when freshman defender Stephanie Stahl broke up a Tribe corner and quickly countered, spotting senior forward Kailyn Slade, who broke up the left side of the field. Slade found senior forward Gabby Dyer, whose shot was denied.

At the break, the shots were knotted at five apiece, but the Rams had a slight edge in shots on goal by a 3-2 margin.

W&M opened the second half with a flurry in the 51st and 52nd minutes. The first shot came from sophomore forward Sami Grasso, but Kruse racked up another save for the Rams. Moments later, W&M junior midfielder Haley Kavanaugh found space and blasted a shot to the lower right corner of the open net, but a Ram defender was able to stop the shot on goal.

Senior midfielder Sharon Wojcik’s free kick found freshman midfielder Maddi Santo’s head, but the header was blocked by a Tribe defender.

The Tribe’s biggest break was in the 61st minute. A cross was delivered to the head of senior forward Katie Johnston, who flicked the ball towards the net and Kruse made a diving save.

In the 69th minute freshman forward Julia Suarez raced down the right sideline and delivered a cross that was just off the mark of Slade, who was all by herself in the box.

VCU’s final chance to break the tie came in the 80th minute when freshman forward Nicole Malancone fed freshman forward Isabella Muzo, but Muzo’s shot was rejected.

W&M outshot the Rams 14-11, including an 8-6 advantage in shots on goal, but neither team found the back of the net for a tie-breaker. Wojcik, Suarez and sophomore defender Megan Dell all took three shots each.

Next up, the Rams open the 2015 regular season on Friday against another in-state rival, Old Dominion University. The Rams and Monarchs kick-off at 7 p.m. at SportsBackers Stadium.