Three sexual assaults at one off-campus party

Matt Leonard
Online Content Editor

Three VCU students were sexually assaulted at an off-campus party that was comprised primarily of fellow students early on October 26, as reported by university officials.

The survivors reported they were provided with drinks that resulted in them becoming incapacitated while at the party on the 1100 block of West Main street.

The survivors know the suspects.

Pamela Lepely, vice president of university public relations, said the investigation is ongoing and no arrests have been made as of Wednesday morning. VCU Police are handling the investigation.

“While it is still early in the investigation,” Rao said in an email to students. “The strongest university sanctions will be imposed if wrongdoing is found.”

Lepley said the president felt obligated to reach out to the student body due to the scale and nature of the incident.

“When there were three reported sexual assaults at one gathering that’s something that warrants a lot of attention,” Lepley said. “It’s not a good situation.”

VCU Police remind students in the alert to be on the lookout for suspicious people who may attempt to isolate someone who is intoxicated or has been drinking. Bystander intervention is a known tool to help to prevent campus sexual assault. Further, always seek verbal, sober, clear consent. Immediately stop sexual advances if the other person indicates no interest or if they say “no.” If you or someone you know has been affect by a sexual assault you can reach out to The Wellness Resource Center (804) VCU-WELL (828-9355)