Guide to Halloween Weekend

Austin Walker

Click for larger version of this map.

1

Return of the Living Dead Bands
Strange Matter 929 W. Grace St. Oct. 31 7 p.m. Free 21+

Old-school punk rock comes back with an undead attitude. Bringing back classic rock stars, Strange Matter will host a costume party and concert Halloween night. Local musicians will impersonate their favorite musicians such as the Sex Pistols, the Stooges, Minutemen and the Germs. Everyone is encouraged to wear their scariest rags for the costume contest hosted by the record store, Vinyl Conflict.

2

Nightmare on Broad Street 2
Coalition Theatre, 8 W. Broad St. Oct. 30-Nov. 1. Begins at 8 p.m. each night.

The Coalition Theatre will host a series of Halloween events beginning with a free screening of “Troll 2” Oct. 30. The screening will double as a costume contest, where the winner could walk away with tickets to future Coalition shows and free apparel. The theatre will have a macabre-themed improv comedy night Halloween night with their version of Misfits founder Glenn Danzig as the host. The night will feature a live performance of the Monster Mash, a matching game filled with Halloween celebrity impersonations and an improvised performance of “Are You Afraid of the Dark?” Tickets are available online or at the door for $10. The weekend will conclude Nov. 1 with an improvised slasher-themed horror show. Tickets are $10.

3

The Return of the Creepshow Peepshow
Gallery5, 200 W. Marshall St. Oct. 31. Doors at 8 p.m. Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 at the door. 18+

The Richmond Burlesque Revue will present “The Return of the Creepshow Peepshow,” at Gallery5 bringing zombies, witches and other monsters to the stage. Attendees are encouraged to come in costume to be entered into a costume contest. Doors open at 8 p.m. and the show begins at 9. Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 at the door.

4

All the Saints Halloween Parade
Monroe Park to Oregon Hill. Oct. 31. Parade begins at 7 p.m. in Monroe Park.

All the Saints Theatre Company is hosting its annual Halloween Parade, marching from Monroe Park to Oregon

Hill. Life-size dragon puppets, 25-foot pirate ships, an inflatable Edward Snowden and musicians will lead the march through the streets of Richmond. Anyone interested is encouraged to come to the parade with an instrument, a costume and walk alongside the attractions.

5

Poe Goes to the Movies with Victoria Price
Poe Museum, 1914 E. Main St. Oct. 31 from 6-10 p.m. Admission is $20.

The Poe Museum is hosting a Halloween event in remembrance of one of history’s most dark and twisted authors. The evening will include a costume contest, food, a movie screening with Victoria Price, daughter of actor Vincent Price and live performances of Poe’s work. The museum owners will re-open the Raven Room, the infamous living place of Edgar Allen Poe.

6

Hollywood Cemetery Walking Tour
412 S. Cherry St. Oct. 31 beginning at 10 a.m. Admission is $15 per person.

The Richmond History Tours Program will host the last day of the Hollywood Cemetary walking tour. People can visit the famous graves of U.S. presidents and generals, and learn local ghost stories with the help of a guide.

7

Saved by the ’90s

The National, 708 E. Broad St. Oct. 31 at 7 p.m. Tickets are $15 in advance.

Coming from New York City, ’90s tribute band the Bayside Tigers will be throwing a concert filled with pastel parachute pants. Attendees are encouraged to bring costumes to what the venue is calling “the ultimate ’90s experience.”

8

There will be blood
The Masque of the Red Death Release-113 S. Foushee St. Oct. 31 at 6 p.m.

Triple Cross Brewing Company will reveal their newest brew, the Red Death Double Red Ale, for a special Halloween-night crowd. There will be a costume contest and their tasting room will be opened to celebrate the new beer. Folk band the Dirty Moccasins will be performing from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.

9

Off the Hookah Halloween
140 Virginia St. Oct. 30-Nov. 1.

Dance club Off the Hookah will present a weekend full of Halloween events. Beginning on Oct. 30, there will be a Halloween House Party with $1 food specials and DJ Ghozt spinning tunes. Halloween night will also be known as Nightmare on Virginia Street with a special Heroes and Villians theme. There will be a $10 cover charge for Nightmare on Virginia Street and costumes are encouraged. The weekend closes with a Monster’s Ball sponsored by Q94 with musician Bebe Rexha performing live.

1 Comment