Sports in Brief

Kristin Dennis

Men’s Soccer

VCU men’s soccer remained unbeaten in Atlantic 10 conference play after battling Fordham University to a 0-0 tie on Friday, Oct. 17. Played at Sports Backers Stadium, the Rams held the advantage in shots (21) and shots on goal (5), and had more corner kick opportunities with 12. Head coach Dave Giffard’s team remains one of four teams unbeaten with a 1-0-2 conference record. Giffard’s team record overall is 4-7-3 with four regular season games remaining.

Women’s Soccer

VCU women’s soccer conquered Rhode Island University with a final score of 3-0. VCU scored early and held Rhode Island defensively and maintained up-tempo style of play throughout. Sharon Wojcik scored the first goal at the six-minute mark in the first half, and Alex Gogolin and Maren Johansen both scored in the second half. VCU is now 6-4-3.

Men’s Tennis

Sophomore Jacob Svensson won his singles bracket for men’s tennis at the 2014 Wake Forest Fall Invitational on Oct. 12 in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. This advanced Svensson to the championship match of his double bracket. As a whole, four Rams finished with eight singles wins and accounted for three victories in doubles match play.

Women’s Tennis

Senior Salome Kvitashvil and freshman Alejandra de Lasa led the VCU women’s tennis team at the Hokie Fall Invitational at Virginia Tech posting three single victories each. Overall, head coach Paul Kostin’s team posted 13 singles wins and five double victories in Blacksburg, Virginia on Oct. 5.