Queer Action hosts annual drag ball

India Jones

Richmond’s drag queens came dressed to impress for Queer Action at VCU’s annual Drag Ball Night in the University Commons on Friday, Nov. 9.

The event, hosted by Nu Nightclub performer Michelle Livigne, featured performances by entertainers from Nu nightclub and Godfreys. The entertainers danced and lip-synced in elaborate costumes while interacting with the audience.

Amber McNeal, a biology junior and vice president of Queer Action, collected tickets for raffle drawings.

“Queer Action does a lot of awareness campaigns and social events,” McNeal said. “We have discussions that teach people things that they never knew about to expand everyones knowledge to make VCU a safer place for all queers. This is one of the best places for me to go and meet people because you won’t get judged and you can just be yourself.”

The raffle tickets cost $5 and could only be bought in Break Point Games & Lounge in the basement of the Commons. The money raised went to the Fan Free Clinic, a small community clinic that provides HIV/AIDS outreach, services and advocacy for those in the Richmond area with limited access to care.

Darianne Cloudy, a junior forensic science major and president of Queer Action, has overseen the event for the past three years.

“It’s really good to give back to the community and give back to the clinic to continue this event every year,” Cloudy said. “The money goes to Fan Free Clinic to help and interact with the community. It is important to continue.”

The clinic’s booth at the event was covered in condoms to support protection and serve as an advertisement for the clinic.

“If a patient wants to come in, first there will be a financial screening and once they qualify they are guaranteed care for one year,” said Kemahn Jones, a pre-med sophomore who volunteers for the clinic. “The clinic is like a primary care physician. They take care of you whether you have a headache, cough, rash, or anything.”